Skip navigation
Allannaa
Currently Being Moderated

Are there NON-video tutorials for learning CS5?

Mar 2, 2013 8:28 AM

Tags: #cs5 #help #tools #tutorials

Because of bandwidth issues and due to a complete lack of speakers, I can't use video tutorials.  Are there non-video, "written" tutorials for CS5, and if so, where can I find them?

I'd also like to know if it's possible to use existing tools such as the nVidia tools which allow documents/images to be saved in DirectDraw Surface (dds) files, for use with gaming applications, and if it's possible to use such old-school filters as Flaming Pear -- or even if Pear is needed, given the apparently very interesting things CS looks capable of doing.

I've had Photoshop itself since before it had numbers after its name, so to speak, but CS5 is a bit of a different animal, so I'd like to start with tutorials as well as jumping right in and "just doing something".

If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,

Alla

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,997 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 8:50 AM   in reply to Allannaa

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 5:31 PM   in reply to Allannaa

When you say lack of speakers, what is your hardware setup?

What kind of bandwidth do you have available?

Is that all that is preventing you from watching video tutorials?

There are so many excellent video tutorials that it seems a shame not to be able to access them due to seemingly surmountable hardware restrictions which may have many solutions if you can tell us more

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 8:19 AM   in reply to Allannaa

Since you know the basics of Photoshop most of the books would probably not do you much good.  But you have several options.

One is video tutorials without the sound.  I have used them this way when I can not hear it well enough or person has accent.  The trick it to view in full screen and have you finger on the pause button.  Then write down the steps they are doing.  Even thought they are saying what they are doing most show the mouse clicks, but they can be quick, and you may have to play a couple of times to see what they are doing.  If you are somewhat familiar with the program you may be able to guess what they are doing to bring up the tool or step.

The other option is to go to a bookstore and page through some of the more advanced issues to see if the cover what you want.  Since you need CS5 you can look at either CS5 or CS6 instruction, and just disregard the new stuff for CS6.  Martin Evening is a well respected photoshop author that you can check out.  I have "Adobe Photoshop CS3 for Photographers" and it is quite though.  It also comes with a DVD showing some of the techniques.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Allannaa

This site should keep you happy for a while: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/

Best...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points