Skip navigation
TRobz112
Currently Being Moderated

How to do Rough Edits (Trimming) with out Rendering?

Mar 2, 2013 8:44 AM

I am new to video editing. Most of my experience is in audio mixing and mastering. If you've used one DAW you've used them all. I want to know how to do something similar to what can be done in Adobe Audition.

I used to be able to import a file, say a .wav file, throw it in multitrack view or edit view. In edit view I can edit the original imported file, trim, splice, tweak and then save it raw as the same file it was when it was imported, as a .wav.

How do I do this with video? I am making a documentary and I have so much footage already. My brother is doing the bulk of the real editing, all I want to do is cut up the interview in these files to the little sound bites that I want to keep for the documentary, this will make the entire process go a lot faster.

I am using .MTS and .MP4 files if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 11:09 AM   in reply to TRobz112

Welcome to the forum.

I would start with AdobeTV, and look over the tutorial videos on this page: http://tv.adobe.com/search/?q=Trimming&product_id=6&topic_id=&release_ id=&t_lid=

Trimming is covered pretty well in those.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 12:38 PM   in reply to TRobz112

Given your source material, you're honestly better off not using the familiar DAW work flow.

Instead, open each clip in the Source Monitor, find the stuff you want to keep and add those sections to a sequence.  When you're done, you can give that PP project to your brother.  He can import that sequence into his current project and have all the good sections to choose from at his fingertips.

This has several advantages.  First, no reencoding of already heavily compressed media, each phase of which reduces quality.  Second, no exporting, which saves time.  Third, no exporting, which saves hard disk space.

(By the way, YouTube is fully capable of genuine 1080p.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 2:09 PM   in reply to TRobz112

Use a sequence that matches your footage.  If you have footage of different types, create a sequence for each, then let your brother sort it out when editing.

As long as he has the same media, he should be good.  You send him the project file ending in .prproj.  He can then import your sequences, which have all the select takes in them.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 5:32 PM   in reply to TRobz112

Yup.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers