Skip navigation
Vladimir1214
Currently Being Moderated

Help, advice needed about  ssd&hdd and skratch disks setup for PS6

Mar 2, 2013 9:36 AM

Tags: #photoshop #performance #up #cs6 #ssd #hdd #boost

Hi ..  ,first of all, sory for  rise / asking a so persisting question ,..also  I read FAQ about this topic here in Adobe, also some blogs like John Nack on Adobe (http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2010/09/how-to-set-up-a-great-photoshop-m achine.html ) ,..and some threads here in Adobe phothshop forum ..  with clarifing replys of good ppl like Noel Carboni and others..   but I still have some doubts  mostly because  Im building a new pc ,need to start to work soon,and Im in a budget.. (I work as a 2d artist,graphic designer.)   I know the better set up would be an array of 3-4 or 5 ssd raid 0  with windows and ps all instaled in it  .. but ..for the moment I dont have that $$  so .. need to clear some grey spots .to choose which way to go.^^  

some aditional info may help you guys : I would  work with photoshop CS6 extended with files (600MB 300 dpi with 25 layers as average ; and 1 or 1.5 GB  with 20 layers max .. )

pc components I already have :      -cpu AMD FX8150 ,

- mobo 990X MSI,16 Gb ram (would up grade to 32 later.),

-VGA gtx660ti .

-  1 Tera HDD  for all the rest of the junk I collect and store

- 1   320 GB HDD WD  (from another pc)

( psu Antec gree 80bronce + 750watts ..also a gift ,27"ips monitor also a gift ^^)

just left  to buy HDD&SSD to start instalation of windows 7 pro and Photoshop .. (also painter12, and autodesk Maya. <-- Im learning it ) 

I was making calculations and I think I need around 60 gb for all the soft/ programs I have  (more or less )  so..  (correct me if Imwrong)

so, one 120gb SSD  with all the software instaled in it  ..it would left me with only 60 gb for skratch ..   and for  1 GB  illustration  in 300dpi  with 20-25 layers on it .. I would be  in problems for sure.. Im wrrong ?

if I install all the soft with PS cs6 in an HDD  and buy an SSD of 120 gb for scratch only would be  fine ? (not ideal  but fine ?)

puting aside  the file size I pretend to work with..   instaling photoshop and windows in an HDD (C:) and dedicating  a separate SDD for scratch only  going this way,,  It would presents some drawbacks or negative issues ? .. for example.. I would not experiment so  big impovement  over a HDD skartch disk . ..

my budget now are only 150 $  >_<

1  buy a big ..HDD(lets say 500 or 700 gb or 1 tb  as a boot and skratch disk,. because its ideal having in C: all the soft and scratch ? (or this only aplys if we talk about SSD s ?)   .and wait until I have enough $$  to buy an array of SSD ?

2  open to suggestions .. my brain is smoked ..  I started buying/ investigating all this stuff  only one week from now...

big thanks in advance.

Vlad,.

Replies
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 10:12 AM   in reply to Vladimir1214

What is your budget. It hard for me to believe anyone want to build their own machine these days for I don't think it will save you anything.  When you can start with a refurbish base Workstation the come with  a three year warrantee with a licence's OS installed that you can add too for example

You seem to have some old stuff and only want to spend $150 more good luck...

Precision T5600

• Processor: Intel Xeon Dual Eight Core E5-2680 Processor (2.7GHz, 20M, 8.0 GT/s, Turbo+)
    • Genuine Windows 7 Professional
    • Dell Outlet Precision Fixed Workstation T5600, 825W Tower
    • 256GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive [QTY : 3]
    • 256GB 2.5 inch (SATA3) Mobility Solid State Drive
    • 64GB DDR3 RDIMM 1600MHz ,ECC,4x16GB
    • 8X DVD +/- RW Optical Drive
    • 2GB AMD FirePro V7900,3 4 Monitor

Showing 1 to 1 Results out of 1
    Sort by:

Certified Refurbished
      120V Power Cord
      Hard Drive Bracket
      Hard Drive Bracket
      PERC H310 RAID Controller
      Screw for Slim Opticals
      Thermal Heat Sink
      Genuine Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit Operating System DVD
      Tower
      Trend Micro 16.6 PC-cillin 30 Day
      English  Keyboard
      Dell USB Optical Mouse

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,513 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 2, 2013 4:14 PM   in reply to Vladimir1214

My advice:

Make a RAID 0 array out of 4 big (e.g., 512GB) SSDs and run EVERYTHING from the 2TB volume:  OS, apps, swap, temp, scratch, photo library, working files.  If you can get a motherboard that supports a 4 drive RAID array with SATA III ports, great.  If not, get something like a 4 or 8 port PCIe RAID controller.

I've done this, and it really works.  I have 4 x 480GB OCZ Vertex 3 SSDs on a HighPoint 2720SGL controller (on a Dell T5500 workstation).  EVERYTHING works instantaneously.  I don't even notice it when Photoshop goes to its scratch files.

You can carry the SSD array over to your new system when you build the ultimate one.  That's what I did too.

If you don't feel you need 2TB of SSD space because of the cost, then consider getting 4 x 256GB drives.  OCZ Vectors are among the most powerful available now.  I saw them on sale last week, though they seem to be back up in price a bit now.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points