Skip navigation
rmoore007
Currently Being Moderated

Changing prices automatically

Mar 2, 2013 9:52 AM

Does anyone know if there is a function or script built into indesign that will allow you to automatically run through prices in an existing catalog and increase them by a pre-set percentage without having to manually retype them all?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 10:17 AM   in reply to rmoore007

There are a bunch of scripts that come with InDesign, but I'm pretty sure that none of them do what you're asking for. There is no automatic price-update tool in InDesign, and honestly there is not much in the way of auto-magical math in InDesign at all. There are quite a few third-party catalog plugins that will help you do regular pricing updates in a catalog, but my experiences with these plugins is that you spend a lot of time setting it up the first time around (more than you'd spend in a manual crawl-through-and-update-prices-manually) in order to make future catalog updates easier.

With a task like this, ease of price updates depends completely on how the catalog was built, and how the prices got in there in the first place.

Are you going to do this just once? Or do you foresee a future of price updates for this document?

Didn't you post a question just like this recently?

No, someone else did. http://forums.adobe.com/message/5109565

Looks like this script posted at InDesignSecrets may be useful to you, but it doesn't satisfy your requirement of it being built into InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to rmoore007

A complete rebuild with something like InCatalog might be a miraculous time-saver, but it could be a massive time-waster, depending on the extent to which

the client DB is not clean and has missing, conflicting, errors in it

My admittedly limited experience with InCatalog makes me think it might be just the thing for you. Fingers crossed on your behalf.

(Now I'm going to spend the rest of my Saturday morning rebuilding a client's translation memory database by hand, taking it down to raw text strings and rebuilding from the ground up because it was not clean, had missing content, conflicts, errors in it. Sigh.)

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points