Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Photoshop tools cursor disappearing.  Icons for tools not showing up only curser icon showing.

Mar 2, 2013 2:31 PM

I am experiencing two problems. One is the tool icons in Photoshop are disappearing on the screen. I move the cursor and see nothing on my screen.

The second problem is at other times the proper tool icon and function is not showing up and working. I select for example the pen tool and the hand tool icon show up and the function works as the hand tool not the pen tool? 

Marc

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 4:12 PM   in reply to marc123B90

What version of Photoshop?  Have you installed all the updates?

What OS version?  (MacOS 10.8 does have known bugs with disappearing cursors)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,528 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 6:09 PM   in reply to marc123B90

Jumbled resources could possibly indicate problems from a 3rd party plug-in.  I believe I've seen that happen on a Windows system.  But please answer Chris' questions before embarking on troubleshooting plug-ins - it may be you have a known problem.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 8:55 PM   in reply to marc123B90

OK, so the missing cursor problem is probably just the known MacOS bug.

Apple should eventually get it fixed.

Tool mixups could be due to plugins, or something interfering with event handling (which some plugins can do), or something pressing keys (a stuck spacebar would show the hand tool).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 9:36 AM   in reply to marc123B90

The dissppearing cursor issue for Mac has been around for awhile.  Here is a link for Photoshop http://forums.adobe.com/message/4859802 but there are similar posts in the MacRumors and Apple Support Community forums.  Google disappearing cursor apple.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 15, 2013 11:14 PM   in reply to marc123B90

This problem began for me after upgrading from 10.6 to 10.8.  I am a heavy PS user and this issue is very frustrating.  I just did a Software Update for 10.8.3 about an hour ago in hopes this issue would be fixed.  It did not fix the problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points