Skip navigation
jwoodr
Currently Being Moderated

folders vs albums

Mar 2, 2013 12:18 PM

Tags: #photos #mac #organizer #11 #albums #pse #folders

I imported 4000 photos from iPhoto into pse 11. Now my orgainizer has hundreds of numbered folders with only 10 pics each in them. How do I revert to the named folders I was previously using in iPhoto?

I also don't understand the difference between a folder and an album.

I want to put some of older stuff "away" so I it is not in the way...

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 12:25 PM   in reply to jwoodr

I can't answer questions about iPhoto.

A folder is where your photo is located on your hard disk. An album is a virtual construct, it doesn't exist on your hard disk, it only exists in the PSE Organizer, but it allows you to categorize photos in a way that is not constrained by folders ... a photo can be in only one folder, but it can be in multiple albums if you wish, and yet there's only a single copy on your hard disk. Furthermore, as a recommendation, I suggest you do your primary organizing via tags, captions and notes, and not albums; and use albums only for those times when you want to make a creation (photobook, slideshow, web album) or when you need a user-generated order. Do your primary orgainizing via tags, captions and notes.

I want to put some of older stuff "away" so I it is not in the way...

Generally, that's not how the PSE Organizer works. It is a place where you organize ALL of your photos. Why? Because at some point in the future, if you wish to find them again, you use the organization created in the PSE Organizer. You can sort older stuff to be at the bottom of your photo grid, so you wouldn't normally see them when you open the Organizer.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 7:11 PM   in reply to jwoodr

Many people organize their photos into some sort of chronological order, as it is a reasonable approach if the only tool you have to organize is folders. However, Organizer gives you many other organizing tools, and the organization of photos into chronological folders is completely unnecessary for several reasons. First of all, the Timeline in the PSE Organizer allows you to find any photo by month (without you having to have a specific folder for that month), and furthermore if you want photos taken on a specific day, the Organizer can find them for you without you having to specifically have a folder for that day (or that month).

I used to organize my photos chronologically as well, but I don't any more. In fact, I think it is a lousy way to organize, if you have better tools. I cannot imagine remembering the month that each of my 20000 photos was taken in. It is an impossible task, and I don't even try. Even in your case, if you have 4000 photos, and you were to look me right in the eye and say "YES I know what month every one of those 4000 photos was taken", I would say, "I don't believe you".

Thus, in my opinion, you will be much better off not using month as a way of organizing and searching. The better tools, as I said, are keyword, caption and note. WHy? Because you always think of photos by their content. You want the find that great picture of the winery in the Finger Lakes with all the beautiful fall colors? Instead of then doing the difficult mental work of remembering what year and what month the photo was taken, you can simply search for photos with the keyword Winery and/or photos with the keyword Finger Lakes, and/or photos with the keyword Fall Foliage. This is a much more natural way to search and a much simpler mental task. You want to find photos that have specific contetn -- you search for that content, you don't try to remember when the photo was taken.

Now, a couple of side issues. On day 1 of your use of the PSE Organizer, it may be that the only organization you have available is your monthly folders. Great! Continue to use that, don't throw it away. But, over time, move away from that organization to a new organization based on photo content, using keywords, captions and notes. Another side issue ... the default way of importing new photos from your camera into PSE involves creating folders by capture date. Continue to use this method, it takes no effort on your part! Just don't try to remember what was taken on which date, or search the folders for your photos. Just use the folders as a place to STORE your photos (since they have to go somewhere).

How can I make the pse Organizer reflect this in its folders?

If the photos are in date or month folders, this should be reflected when you import the photos into PSE, and should be visible in PSE's Folder Location View. If it is not, then perhaps something to do with iPhoto that I cannot help you with. But do not waste a single second of time trying to re-create such an organization. The Timeline in the PSE Organizer will find all photos taken in any given month, regardless of what folder they are in, and you don't have to put effort into creating folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 1:08 AM   in reply to dj_paige

I physically keep my pictures in folders by year/month for my own peace of mind. In Organizer I use a more "by subject" approach. An example: I have a lot of pictures of Colonial Williamsburg taken over the years. Though the pictures are in folders based on the year/month taken within Organizer they are all under Colonial Williamsburg. That way I can click on Colonial Williamsburg and see all the pictures I have taken. I do have sub-tuopics under Colonial Williamsburg such are animals, gardens, Christmas etc..

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points