Skip navigation
nielvdm
Currently Being Moderated

Best Premiere Elements Setup in Win7 using SSD & HDD

Mar 2, 2013 6:03 PM

My home computer consists of the following:

i7-3770K CPU, 16GB RAM, Win7 64, 256GB SSD, 3TB HDD, 670 graphics card

I have Adobe Premiere Elements 11 and Photoshop Elements 11 installed on my SSD, but then it completely filled the SSD when I downloaded a few years’ worth of footage from my video camera. I noticed that by default it stored the files in C:\Users\[user name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\ Premiere Elements\{9.0|10.0|11.0}, and also noticed that you can change the settings where data is stored in Premiere Elements under Edit > Preferences > Scratch Disks

My question is, what is the best setting to get the best performance out of Premiere Elements, whilst not filling up my SSD? Is it best to re-install Premiere Elements? I have already moved the roaming folder to my E Drive, so I am not sure how to proceed from here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 6:50 PM   in reply to nielvdm

Programs belond on the SSD.  Data belongs on your 3TB HDD.  Footage is data.  So, the problem is how you "downloaded" data to your SSD.  Delete it and download again to the HDD.  Or, move it to the HDD.

Scratch disk are not part of were the data lives.  They are about where the "rendering" takes place. 

On my system I have all the scratch disks set to "Same as Project".  Per Bill Hunt's advice, I create a folder for each project and fill it with the video data I want copied from the HDD.  The SSD is so fast that everthing works better.

When the project is complete, the folder is copied back to the HDD.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 3:33 AM   in reply to nielvdm

I have a similar setup (win7 ssd / hdd). It baffles me that microsoft still does not allow a simple way to install OS and program on one drive (SSD) and leave documents on another drive. (HDD)

You might be interested in this tip:

http://lifehacker.com/5467758/move-the-users-directory-in-windows-7

I did it on 2 computers already and it's great.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to nielvdm

I think this is for PPro, but might help with Elements

Drive C space http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1007934?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 29, 2013 7:42 AM   in reply to John T Smith

DISK SPACE MANAGEMENT QUESTION FOR ELEMENTS

C:\ (120GB SSD)

Win7 OS

Premiere Elements 11

D:\ (2TB HD)

Media (a/v) files

All other files

The objective is to use this set-up w/o using up valuable space on the SSD.

GENERAL OPTIONS:

1) Move all possible Elements files from C:\ to D:\ other than the operating program.

2) Relocate, remap, redirect all Elements files that 'build-up' during a Project from C:\ to D:\.

or

Understand what effective 'housekeeping' I can do of these 'growing' Elements files during a project to prevent overload to the SSD.

(Cache, preview, rendering, etc)

3) Upon completion of a project, I would like to delete all files associated with that project from C:\ (or elsewhere). I can simply save the Project file and media (a/v) files on a separate external drive for archiving.

For the most part, when I finish a project, I'm done. I'm not going back to re-edit it. I burn a DVD and move on to another project.

I understand the Scratch Disk settings. All media (a/v) files will be stored on a drive separate from C:\.

What concerns me are the variety of 'other' files that build during a Project. What can I delete (during the project) and perhaps better yet, what files/folders can I remap to D:\ permanently to prevent files from being auto saved into C:\?

Thanks,

John Jr

PE-11

PowerSpec G214

Core i7

Win 7 Home Premium- 64bit

16GB DDR3 RAM (upgrading to 32)

120GB SSD

2TB HD

2-AMD Radeon 6790 graphics cards

|
    Mark as: