Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

No sound on main movie

Mar 2, 2013 4:57 PM

I authored a Blu-ray in Encore CS 6. It has a motion menu and two timelines: one for the main movie and one for a bonus feature. The video for the two timelines are dynamically linked from Premiere Pro CS6, and the audio for the timelines and the menu are 5.1 AC3 files imported as assets. The sound was rendered out of Premiere Pro using Rovi TotalCode using the same settings as I did for the bonus feature audio and menu audio, which were also rendered out of Premiere using TotalCode.

I get sound on the menu, sound in the bonus feature, but no sound for the main movie. I'll get sound if I have the dynamically linked audio in the timeline, but doing so renders out in stereo.

I've tried creating another timeline and using the ac3 audio, but to no avail. The ac3 files works as I can listen to it in VLC Player. It does not work in Encore whether I scrub the timeline or not, and there is no sound when it is burned to Blu-ray whether I use Cyberlink Power DVD on my computer or my Blu-ray player in my living room.

I was hoping I wouldn't have to use Sony DVD Architect Pro again. I'd like to use Encore because of its single multi-page menu feature.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 22, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to eday_2010

I am doing a video for my Rocking Chair University. I make rocking chairs mostly BUT I also support my students with books and videos. As this is not my area of expertise I admit to being moderately stupid.

That said, my current problem is moving from PP to En I lose most of my audio and in searching the forums/internet/youtube I find that Adobe has been unable to fix this bug for many YEARS now and since people keep buying their product they don't seem to give a crap about our difficulties.

How about a class action lawsuit?? Anybody interested?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to rolyatlah

The first step is to establish what the bug is. For example, if the bug is "no ac3 audio on bluray disk when audio source is ac3" then the bug can be reproduced (demonstrated) by putting any ac3 on an encore timeline, building, and showing no ac3 audio on the bluray.

The more likely scenario here is that certain types of ac3 audio do not work. Some of those may be out of spec. I don't recall any discussion of Encore being unable to create Blurays with ac3 audio, but individual cases with problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 10:59 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Several points:

1. Like many others I have read about over the last four days of accomplishing absolutely nothing while spending times on Adobe bugs. The first four or five times I used Encore from PP it worked flawlessly. Then, without warning and one completed DVD into a three DVD set, I can make no progress.

2. I am importing video using a DCR VX2000 NTSC. I am making standard digital videos, not high def and not blu ray

3. I created a two minute video using my internet camera, with audio, copied it into PP from which I invoked Encore and the same problem! No audio.

4 In one experiment (which I can not duplicate) I envoked Audition from PP and converted all of the audio to mono (can't figure out how I did that as the only method I can find now is by changing a single clip at a time and that would take forever) At any rate, after changing all of the audio to mono, I then copied it using control C, went back into PP and using control V I copied it to an open audio track. I then muted the original video so I could work in PP and then with a mono track envoked Encore again and everything worked perfectly.

5. I think that class action law suit is long overdue.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:21 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

The thread you posted on is addressing Bluray. I understand now that you are doing DVDs.

I and many others have made many DVDs with no issues of loss of audio, whether bringing ac3 in from Premiere or bringing in WAVs and generating the ac3 in Encore.

Are you saying that you are experiencing the "no audio" problem with projects using audio from your VX2000?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 12:50 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It happens with audio from the Sony VX, with audio that I recorded locally in voice overs and with the little video I did with my internet camera. Seem not to care from whence the video commeth!

It is worth repeating, like many others have experienced - it worked like a dream for a spell then everything went to hell.

I am serious about a class action lawsuit, this is absolute neglegence.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

CS6 with the 6.0.1 and 6.0.2 updates, right?

Edit: Sorry, sent too soon. To confirm, you can hear the audio and its previews okay, it is only in the actually burned disk that the problem appears? (There are other users who have had problems with hearing the audio in Encore.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 1:07 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I don't burn a disk because I have NO AUDIO in Encore. From my first post "That said, my current problem is moving from PP to En I lose most of my audio"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 22, 2013 1:16 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

Thanks; sorry I missed that. Many of the problems reporting no audio in Encore itself have been related to solvable issues. I suggest starting a new thread and addressing  your current audio issue there.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 12:40 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

As a test, I would manually Export a Video-only AV file from PrPro, and an Audio-only file. For a DVD, it is probably just as easy to Export a DV-AVI w/ Video-only, and a PCM/WAV @ 48KHz 16-bit Audio-only file (unless you have DD 5.1 SS, which I do not think you do). Open new Encore Project, and Import the DV-AVI file as a Timeline, then Import the PCM/WAV as an Asset. Drag that PCM/WAV from the Project Panel to the Timeline, where it will snap into place. Do any navigation, and Preview. Do you now have Audio?

Good luck, and let us know how that test progresses.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:25 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Thanks Hunt,

Jeff suggested I export as an MPG2 DVD and that worked a champ.

Hal

kk4bct

www.haltaylor.com

www.rockingchairuniversity.com

www.rockingchairs.net PO Box 58 Hartwood, VA 22471 540-903-9972 Cell

540-286-2586 Office

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:27 PM   in reply to rolyatlah

That is the other option. I was trying to keep it simple, as one needs to do a bit of Bit-Budgeting with the MPEG-2 DVD output. However, as it worked, and as the MPEG-2 DVD file not need to be Transcoded by Encore, you are actually ahead of the game.

Glad that you have things working well,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 27, 2013 1:58 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I appreciate your interest.

Hal

kk4bct

www.haltaylor.com

www.rockingchairuniversity.com

www.rockingchairs.net PO Box 58 Hartwood, VA 22471 540-903-9972 Cell

540-286-2586 Office

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 5:54 AM   in reply to eday_2010

If  you've waited long enough for a conforming activity, create a new project, bring in a short section of your 5.1 material. Does it preview?

Now bring in your long one. Evidence of conforming? does it work?

My guess, based on Richard's (I think it was Richard) comment in another thread, is that Encore must do something to be able to preview as stereo the 5.1 passthrough file. I also assume given what you needed to do in your project, that Encore may have just lost the preview info, or has become corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 20, 2013 6:30 PM   in reply to eday_2010

Excellent! Now, while you still remember, and can tell us (and your future self when you visit this thread), what temp files? what preview files? Deleted through the Encore clean cache, for example, or close Encore and delete from that (and other) locations.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 5:00 AM   in reply to eday_2010

Here's my situation: I'm using Encore CS6, importing files made in PP CC. When I encode DVD files and import three clips, lay them on the timeline, make a menu and author a DVD, the audio works fine. When I encode the same three clips as blu-ray MPEGs and import then into Encore and put them on the timeline, the first clip has audio; the second and third do not. Two notes: when I preview or scrub the timeline, the audio works fine on all clips, when I burn the BD, it only shows up on the first clip. Second note: I imported clip one as a timeline; I may have imported clips two and three as an asset. I can't recall for sure.

Could that make a difference? I could start over, but these blu-ray discs aren't the cheapest thing in the world and the less trial and error, the better.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 7:57 AM   in reply to Jschaberg

Put each video on its own timeline. Some audio problems that result from multiple videos on one timeline can be fixed/worked around, others are more difficult.

If you want one timeline, export from Premiere as a single movie.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 8:05 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks, Stan. I was afraid of that! The problem with that solution is that after each clip, I need to return to the main menu, and I don't think I can do that when all three videos are exported as one. Can I?

I guess I'll give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 8:43 AM   in reply to Jschaberg

Not sure I understand.

If you export as 3 clips, put each on its own timeline with an end action of "main menu" (or last menu usually works fine). Make a playlist for the "play all." There may be a brief gap between each clip in the playlist, but your individual probably already allow for that.

If you export as a single video for one timeline, divide as chapters in Encore, and use "Chapter Playlist" to create the chapter play, with an end action on the chapter playlist for main menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 10:15 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Thanks again, Stan. I'm not sure what I was thinking, or not thinking, but you've paved the road to success.

In case no one's told you lately, you are the man.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 26, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Jschaberg

Thanks! I hope it's smooth sailing right into the new year!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points