Skip navigation
Ksmejkal
Currently Being Moderated

How can I get Indesign CS6 to open JPG/PNG files?

Mar 2, 2013 5:49 PM

Tags: #error #png #indesign #message #jpg #plug-in_missing

I recently purchased Indesign CS6. When I went to import a PNG, it failed to recognize it. I then tried a JPG to no avail. The exact error message reads as follows:

"Cannot open the file "photo.png". Adobe Indesign May not support the file format, a plug-in that supports the file format may be missing, or the file may be in another application."

How could the plug-ins be missing? Wouldn't these be installed with Indesign? Any advice as to how to proceed?.

Thanks in advance.

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 5:55 PM   in reply to Ksmejkal

You need to use the file>place command.

This is very, very basic and I'd respectfully suggest that you take a step back and learn a bit about the program. This link will get you a free one week trial of Lynda.com where you'll find some fabulous video training: http://bit.ly/RS0GXs

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2013 5:26 AM   in reply to Bob Levine

This is one of the occassions where I wish Adobe would put a bit more information and recognise it's an image format and say "You are trying to open an image file in InDesign - to Place the image in the Layout go to File>Place and choose the image from your location. <insert link to placing images on help file>"

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 14, 2013 10:17 PM   in reply to Ksmejkal

I open a new document. On my Mac I use command-D. It takes me to my desktop or to a folder. If it's the wrong place, I back out to the desktop and from there I choose whatever location my image is at. When I see the location, I click on the 'open' on the bottom right of the page and the image opens in the document. You can't open images directly.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points