Skip navigation
Quasimodo44
Currently Being Moderated

Pagemaker 7.0.1a to InDesign

Mar 2, 2013 6:16 PM

Tags: #cs3 #book #cloud

What steps do I need to take to convert a highly formatted book of 412 pages to InDesign from Pagemaker 7.0.1a?

I have Windows 7 Ultimate. I also have Creative Suite Premium CS3. Do I need to update to CS1 or CS2 before going to CS6? I plan to sign up for CS6 Cloud annual membership.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to Quasimodo44

No need to upgrade to intermediate versions.

ID should be able to open the PM file, but you should un-embed any images and make sure all links are up to date before making the conversion or you'll only get the screen previews. And the conversion could be anything from near perfect to near useless, depending on the PM file structure itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to Quasimodo44

Opening the file in ID will not do anything to the original so you have nothing to lose by trying. If those are CDR files you likely got them in there through OLE which is not supported in InDesign. You'll need to open everyone of them in CorelDRAW and export them out as a supported format such as EPS, PDF or AI.

Bob

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 4:32 AM   in reply to Quasimodo44

ID isn't going to open a .tmp file. You'll need to find a way to save all of them again from PM.

On the other hand, it may turn out to be easier, if you can find a way, to simply extract all of the text from them and start over. No matter what, this sounds like a major headache and a lot of work.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points