Skip navigation
Stephen Douge
Currently Being Moderated

How do I stop Photoshop CS6 from asking to save changes to a file when closing the file, after "savi

Mar 2, 2013 11:33 PM

Tags: #photoshop #files #saving #cs6 #extended

I save a lot of files to "save for web". After saving PS asks if I want to save changes to the original file. I never want to save the changes to the original. Since the default is to change the file I am afraid I will accidentally OK the change without wanting to. I would like it to stop asking and just not save it. Is there a way?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2013 11:53 PM   in reply to Stephen Douge

No, because you have made changes to the original file and need to be warned that you're closing the file without saving those changes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 8:30 AM   in reply to Stephen Douge

It asks each time if you want to save changes to the original before closing as a measure of reduncy.  The program wants to make sure that since you changed the origianl you do not want to save those changes.  You may not want to but what about the other xxx thousand users? 

If you make it an option to always say no and not see the warning, there will be a time when you make changes to a PSD, save as a jpeg, then close.  And once you hit the save button you say "damm, I was going to save the changes to the PSD file also, but now the changes are lost".  So that is why it asks you each time.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2013 10:52 AM   in reply to Stephen Douge

You saved a flattened, lossy copy of the image.

But you haven't saved all the changes you made to the original image (which includes any changes you made to settings in SFW).

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,053 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to Stephen Douge

Stephen Douge wrote:

I never want to mess with originals. I am asking because I want to make sure I stated the question properly in the first place. Thanks.

Then don't work on the original open the file using Photoshop menu file>open once its in Photoshop as a document dupe the document and close the original document. Photoshop will just close the original and not ask it you want to save the original document for no changes were made to it.  You could easily record an action to automate this process. The first step in the action would be an inserted menu item menu File>Open.  The second step Duplicate Document, third step select previous document the fourth and final step close. The action would look like this recorded Work in the dupe and save it under the name you want to where you want it saved. The First step is an interactive you will be able to open any file Photoshop has support for that you have access to.

oc.jpg

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points