Skip navigation
achillespatroclus
Currently Being Moderated

Should I spend many hours in Illustrator puting objects on many separate layers before importing?

Mar 2, 2013 11:41 PM

Tags: #animation #flash_cs6

Very complex overlapping of objects in this project. My adobe Illustrator art has many hundreds of objects on only about 5 layers. When I imported into Flash I can only get to individual objects by breaking apart the layers. The art is very complicated, interlacing of two human figures I didn't design but I copied from ancient 500BC Greek pottery art for an historical film I'm making.

I labeled every object in Illustrator but apparently loose that while importing into Flash. Should I spend hours more in Illustrator putting everything on separate layers that needs to be used in separate layers for overlapping before importing to Flash? Objects in Illustrator automatically appear on a separate line but I guess that is not the same as a separate layer when you import into Flash, right? I am concerned as to how I will be able to make some of these limbs or clothing with all the objects associated with them be moved into just one layer for the overlapping of these things is very complex and I am certain it will take forever to figure out how to rearrange for proper overlapping order if I make a lot more layers, if it is even possible without a work around in some cases. Frankly I am having difficulty with the concepts of objects in Flash vs how layers work in software like Photoshop.  MAC OSX FLASH CS6.Screen Shot 2013-03-02 at 11.10.47 PM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2013 4:24 AM   in reply to achillespatroclus

If you are having trouble with knowing what you are dealing with you should start small and experiment to see.  Use simpler overlapping of objects to see how things work between the programs.  The same will likely hold true as you make them more complex.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2013 12:05 PM   in reply to achillespatroclus

Look closely at your import settings when you import your AI file. Unless you flatten the illustrator layers into bitmaps, none of the objects will be lost. If you double-click what seems to be one object in Flash, you will find that all the component parts are still in there.

However, keeping things organized with layers is good practice in Illustrator, whether or not you're using the product in Flash, so it might be a good practice to cultivate longer term.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points