Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Blu-ray Menus

Mar 3, 2013 3:18 PM

One of the enhanced features of BD over DVD is that the menu system is much more seamless.  With DVD, the music or video would only play for a specific menu, and if you changed from one menu to another, the music or video would be interrupted during the change.  With BD that's been resolved.  You can now have a continuous music or video track that plays uninterrupted even when switching between menus.

So...am I just missing how to take advantage of this outstanding new BD feature, or is Encore itself simply not capable of it (like it still can't do alternate angles)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2013 4:19 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Simply put, Encore is not capable of it.

Encore only provides basic menu creation.  It lacks the scripting portion of Blu-ray menu creation that is used to enable the enhanced features you see in many of the high-level retail releases.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 2:25 PM   in reply to bigmanfontu

Encore only provides basic menu creation.  It lacks the scripting portion of Blu-ray menu creation that is used to enable the enhanced features you see in many of the high-level retail releases.

No fundamental argument. I'd love to see scripting. But some of the features provided are not just basic as such. For example, multipage index creation would take a lot of scripting and/or navigation work, and is a very useful feature. And only with CS6 was Encore capable of  Bluray chapter playlists. You can create them with scripting, but having the direct option in Encore is great.

So it is probably possible for Adobe to add a feature to Encore, short of scripting, that would provide for Bluray features such as Jim describes.

But does Adobe think that providing such features will result in additional purchases of Premiere and/or the full cloud?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

I imagine that adding the 3D modeling capabilities to Adobe Photoshop CS5 and CS6 has resulted in additional purchases of Photoshop.  I just don't think a company, like Adobe, should release software that only offers a basic version of anything.  Not when they have staked so much on software like Photoshop, Premiere and After Effects.  I think if the demand is great enough, Adobe will appease it's customers.

Then again, how long has Encore been able to create DVD menus and there still isn't any advanced DVD creation toolset?  No options for resume, specifically.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points