• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign CS6 Retina MBP Support

New Here ,
Mar 03, 2013 Mar 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently running CS4 and have just upgraded to a retina display MBP. I predominantly use Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and InDesign and believe the CS6 versions of these other programs have been issued with updates for retina display compatibility.  I am happy to upgrade to CS6 but only if I know there will be an update for InDesign CS6.  I do not want to purchase a creative cloud membership.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

You will not see Retina support in ID CS6. It requires a complete re-write of the base code, which is happening for ID CC. It's will be available for Creative Cloud members starting on 6/17/2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 04, 2013 Mar 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You will not see Retina support in ID CS6. It requires a complete re-write of the base code, which is happening for ID CC. It's will be available for Creative Cloud members starting on 6/17/2013.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2013 Mar 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So sad about this...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 29, 2013 May 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know the scheduled release date for InDesign CS7?

Will it be released sometime yet this year in 2013?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now called "InDesign CC" (instead of CS7), and it'll release in mid-June.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new releases will be by subscription, only...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, so... am I missing something? I thought "InDesign CC" is available for Creative Cloud members only. Didn't Adobe release "InDesign CC"  in May of this year?

I want to know when the next version of InDesign that is "retina display supported" will be available to purchase after IDCS 6?  Does anyone know what the rumored release date is?

I am getting a retina Macbook Pro and I don't want to have to get a subscription to Creative Cloud just to get ID CC for the retina display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Creative Cloud susbscription model was introduced last may, but you had a choice at that time of obtaining your CS6 applications through a perpetual license or a cloud subscription. The next release will carry the CC version name, rather than a CS7, and will ONLY be available to users who choose to subscribe (current users of perpetual license products are eligible for discounts off the first year subscription price), and there will be NO new features added to CS6, nor will there be any new releases available other than through a Creative Cloud subscription.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, got it. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess what that means, as far as Retina support is concerned, is you will need to subscribe to the cloud, and June 17 is the expected release date for the new CC labled versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 07, 2013 Jun 07, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ID CS and CC have so far been the same applications, only with different licenses. If ID CC has been through all the re-writing to support retina resolution, why can't the updates just be adopted into CS?

I have subscribed to CC myself, I just don't understand the logic. But maybe it's just a marketing trick from Adobe to make it more attractive to subscribe to CC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is not a trick. The code to support the higher resolutions simply doesn't exist in CS6. If it did you would not need to make the request, it would already be working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Grafisk, I think you are confused by the marketing designations here. That is not surprising because it is confusing:

ID CS and CC have so far been the same applications, only with different licenses. If ID CC has been through all the re-writing to support retina resolution, why can't the updates just be adopted into CS?

I have subscribed to CC myself, I just don't understand the logic. But maybe it's just a marketing trick from Adobe to make it more attractive to subscribe to CC?

Let's clarify. InDesign CS6 is the same as InDesign 8. You can purchase it via perpetual license or you can subscribe via the Creative Cloud. If you subscribe via the Creative Cloud, it is not "InDesign CC"; it is still "InDesign CS6" via-the-Creative Cloud. These are the names you'll seeon the splash screen, etc.

The next version of InDesign is InDesign 9.

Up until recently, we would have referred to that as "InDesign CS7."

For marketing reasons, Adobe has decided not to use the term "InDesign CS7" and is instead using the term "InDesign CC." When you hear "InDesign CC" that means "InDesign 9."

Retina support (and other things) are features of InDesign 9, not of InDesign 8.

That means they are avaialble with InDesign CC (f/k/a InDesign CS7), not InDesign CS6.

Adobe has also made a marketing decision not to sell InDesign CC in perpetual license form. This is a company-wide decision and has basically zero to do with the InDesign team. (Same deal with Photoshop CC formerly-known-as Photoshop CS7, etc., etc.,)

Does this help to make it more clear? I understand it still sucks for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2013 Jun 19, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you John, that was a useful explanation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, that's today! Where can I go to det the retina update for ID?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2013 Jun 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The new versions are still a few hours off... Rumor is 8:00 p.m. Pacific time. They'll be available through Creative Cloud.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines