Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Links in PDF no longer work after optimizing file

Mar 3, 2013 9:33 PM

Tags: #pdf #links #printing #printer #issues #optimzing

Hi,

I created a PDF file that is about 5.50 MB that needs to be reduced in size.  This PDF file was orginally created in Microsoft Word

with a linkable Table of Contents and links inside the document to websites. 

When I create a PDF from this Word file in Adobe Acrobat X Pro, the links work as they should.  However, the file size is too big for reasons I won't get into.

I read that a trick to reducing the file size is to try have Adobe try to print the newly created PDF document (by going to file -> print -> and clicking 'OK,' even though my computer is not connected to a printer).  After Adobe tries to print the entire document, I click 'save as,' and sure enough, it successfully reduces the file size from about 5.50 MB to about 3.80MB without losing any quality.  That solved my problem of the file size, but for some bizarre reason, it created a new problem with the PDF document.

For some reason, after I shrink the PDF file size by printing the file, the linkable Table of Contents and the http links throughout the document no longer work in Adobe Reader or even in Adobe Acrobat X Pro, which created the PDF.  The links in the PDF document still appear as links, but when the 'hand' hovers over them, it doesn't change to an arrow.  And when you try to click them, nothing happens.

Why is this?  Is there some setting in 'Print PDF document' that is causing the links to be disabled?  How do I get the PDF links to work as they normally do?

I haven't changed any of the default settings in the PDF printer.  When the print box pops up, I just click 'OK.'  It then tries to print the entire PDF document and then when it is completed, I just save as.  Not sure what it would then disable the links.

Thanks.

BTW, I have tried the optimizing feature to reduce the PDF file size, and it ruins the quality of this document.  The print PDF file trick works like a charm except for it disabling the links.  I'd like to figure out why it is doing this and that would solve the problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 3:06 AM   in reply to route444

Printing to 'Adobe PDF' will not transfer links, bookmarks, ...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:27 AM   in reply to route444

You need to first investigate where the 'bloat' is in the file, by looking at the "Audit Space Usage" report in Optimizer. Then you can selectively enable each part of the optimizer profile to only affect the areas you want. Often Word-generated PDFs contain a bunch of document overheads (such as xmpMM history data).

route444 wrote:

BTW, I have tried the optimizing feature to reduce the PDF file size, and it ruins the quality of this document. 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to Bernd Alheit

Actually on Mac two forms will transfer

1. URL written as http://www.jqSmith_anywhere.usa
    2. mailto:jqSmith@anywhere.usa

and Only if you go through File Menu > Print> Pdf> Adobe PDF

or save document and Drop on The Acrobat application icon in the Dock. (doing this way though you have to wait possibly several minutes.)

And only only with acrobat X and XI.

The issue is when in Word you have higlighted a word, Pphrase or sentence the gone to Insert menu > URL the type in URL or Mailto. Then saved. This is a Minor issue that adode fixed if adobe desired to. It has taken adobe 15 years just fix so you could type in URL and mailto directly. It will likely tthem another 15 to get the other way fixed. They would rather Blame Microsoft and Apple.  rather than hunker down and fix the problem. Thevisual part or vdeo is based on PDF standard Adobe re;ease to general Public whenactobat first came out anew features emerge. And The code for Making Links is identical in both the Windows version and the Mac version. a saved version of the PDF on Mac when opend by the PDF shows the links. If Opened in Apple's Pages just opened the links are there. If doing nothing to the pages file and its exported back to Word (or Excel if its an excel file) the made a PDF. all types of links will be hot. If the File from Pages, or exporte to any of the OpenOffice version and aDF is created the PDF works. So iApple is taken out of the equation.  its squarely between MS and Adobe. And Adobe gets along with no one. They are arogant and an island to themselves, cooperating with no one.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:39 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

The Acrobat Family will recognize URLs and email addresses in any PDF file and dynamically assign a click region to them at display time, but the link is NOT stored in the PDF. Printing to PDF is exactly the same as printing to paper, you get ONLY what you see on screen. No links, no scripts, no layers, no forms - nothing.

Phillip Jones wrote:

Actually on Mac two forms will transfer

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to route444

We know you're not printing. But the only reason for the "print" function in Acrobat is that - TO PRINT. There is no need to send information about links or any other kind of clever stuff to the printer, so Acrobat doesn't - and you lose it. This is one of many reasons "refrying" (as printing PDF-to-PDF is colloquially known) isn't recommended.

There's no question of disabling the links and you AREN'T left with the same PDF document. You have a brand new PDF based only on what would print.

There are tools designed to do what you want to do - and they don't involve printing to PDF.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:09 AM   in reply to route444

Well, it's a pity if you can't use any other tools because printing to PDF cannot ever preserve your links. Sorry if explaining why is talking down, I'll leave you to it now.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Check this out: https://workspaces.acrobat.com/?d=Hu0qNeT*DEjQrEmUY7h*OA

click on the links see what happens

OR this one: http://db.tt/lcoG2epk

download and see if you can open.

Message was edited by: Phillip Jones additional link is added.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:50 PM   in reply to Phillip Jones

As I said, there are no link objects in that file. The Acrobat Family will create an automatic and temporary click region, but if you switch to the Link tool in Acrobat you will find there are no structural links on the page. If there were any, their drag rectangles would appear. You can also open the Content panel on the left sidebar and look for the link objects (or lack thereof).

Automatic hotlinking is a useful feature for Reader users working with PDFs that haven't been created properly, but for document authors it's always a good idea to disable it in the Acrobat preferences, so it's obvious if your links are real or not.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

You may be able to get the links back if you open the original PDF (best a copy) and use replace pages to put the printed file back in the original. I think the links and other markup will remain. Of course, the links could be the reason for the bloat, so an audit as suggested should be done. If you eliminated the fonts, you may not have done a good move. Fonts are important for others to read your PDF on any platform.

Sometimes, Reduce File Size will reduce the file size as you want. Sometimes the files actually get bigger, but have not clue why.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:48 PM   in reply to Dave Merchant

explain then why if links are provided in a PDF and others open they can go to those links? Aren't they using Javascript which is basis for links working to begin with.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 12:21 AM   in reply to Phillip Jones

The Acrobat Family searches all live text in a PDF file for patterns that match a URL or an email address, and makes them clickable if there's no existing link object over them. JavaScript is not involved at all, this is a native function of the code inside Acrobat and Adobe Reader on the desktop.

A genuine link object is a permanent part of the file structure, defined by a rectangular area and one or more trigger actions. It may open the same location seen in the underlying text but it doesn't have to.

Phillip Jones wrote:

explain then why if links are provided in a PDF and others open they can go to those links? Aren't they using Javascript which is basis for links working to begin with.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thanks for the explaination.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 6:41 PM   in reply to route444

Did you try the replace pages as I suggested. If it does the job, you will save a lot of time with all the links.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 4:37 AM   in reply to route444

IF your using Acrobat X or XI:

1. Open PDF
    2. Click on Tools
    3. Click on Pages
    4. Click Replace Pages
    5. Locate desired PDF to serve as replacemnt
    6. choose  desired pages, and starting place

|