Skip navigation
Pumpkin Person
Currently Being Moderated

Burning a 1h 40min DVD

Mar 4, 2013 2:39 AM

Tags: #space #encore #dvd #length

Hi there,

I've just finished my project in Encore (just getting to grips with it - great application!) and whilst it's not saying there are any errors, I'm a bit concerned that the content is too big for the disc.

Its 01:39:35 in length, and a 3.97GB file. But I thought the actual data limit didn't matter on DVD's and it was all about length?

Heres a screen grab of the project info: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17765790/Encore2.png

Here's one of the Encore project: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/17765790/Encore1.png You can see that the disc info bar is all the way to the top!

Thanks very much!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Pumpkin Person

In the Encore project panel for the mp4, does it say "Do not transcode" or something else?

Does the transcode setting show "automatic"?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 5:45 AM   in reply to Pumpkin Person

If a project is too large for the DVD, Encore gives an error.

Yes, there are many things that can go wrong!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

Where did you get the .mp4 file? Note that DVD is always MPEG-2, so if you provide anything other than a DVD-legal MPEG-2 file to Encore, Encore will "transcode" it to the proper format automatically. So file size doesn't matter for non-compliant files, as they are going to get recompressed anyways.

If the video is something you edited yourself, then do not create an .mp4, you are needlessly recompressing and losing quality. From Premiere, use Media Encoder and create the proper "MPEG-2 for DVD" file and import that into Encore and no further transcoding of the file will be done. To figure out the correct data rate for the encode, look up "bit rate calculator" online.

Sorry if I missed any info in your screen grabs, parts of them were cut off on the small screen I am on at the moment.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera

Safe Harbor Computers

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Pumpkin Person

I thought the actual data limit didn't matter on DVD's and it was all about length?

That's the exact opposite of the way it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:33 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

There is a FINITE amount of space on a DVD. So, the longer the program, the lower the data rate (quality) must be. At the highest quality, a standard DVD will hold 1 hour of video, but you can put 3 hours or more on there if you don't mind lower quality. And in fact, depending on the subject matter, a 3 hour DVD doesn't have to look bad. If it's a talking head video or similar, without a lot of detail and motion, it can look just fine.

Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:13 AM   in reply to Pumpkin Person

When you create MPEG2-DVD out of Premiere Pro, it will create 2 files, audio and video, which you use for Encore

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points