Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Flash CS6 text engine

Mar 4, 2013 6:42 AM

Tags: #error #text #cs5.5 #actionscript #cs6 #engine #russian

I have a concept in Flash CS6 with Russian text. I published the file and some of the characters did not render correctly. I opened the same file in Flash CS5.5 and published the file and all of the characters rendered correctly.

I am using Arial for the font and have embedded the necessary Russian characters for the concept, including Cyrillic. Why would CS5.5 render all of the characters, but CS6 would not? Here is the text render from CS6.

Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 9.37.15 AM.png

Here is the render from CS5.5

Screen shot 2013-03-04 at 9.38.31 AM.png

We've also had issues with other non-latin languages and Asian languages. As this is a big part of our business, it's important for me to know if something changed in CS6 that significantly impacts foreign language text rendering. Otherwise, we'll have to revert back to CS5.5.

Replies
  • kglad
    72,235 posts
    Jul 21, 2002
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 7:27 AM   in reply to padrepio

in cs6 you could be using tlftext.  that changes everything.  (unless you have a definite need for tlftext, don't use it.)

that said, even with tlftext, if you embed all the needed characters they will appear.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jun 3, 2013 10:53 AM   in reply to padrepio

I agree completely, and I would go further to say that the TLF is useless in its current form.  We have the undocumented ProLoader as a workaround (a.k.a. a hack) for the SafeLoader workaround, neither of which would even be necessary if the TLF was an intrinsic library to the Player as it should have been all along.  See my topic here for more on this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1224779

I have educational software that has individual SWFs for each lesson that are loaded into the main application.  It uses a book metaphor where frames are equivalent to pages.  So right off the bat, the first workaround that describes pushing all content to frame 2 to avoid some kind of caching will not work for me, as it would require a redesign of the system and hundreds of lessons to account for it.  The TLF feature looks like you can just use it out of the box, by changing a field from Classic Text to TLF, but nothing could be further from the truth.  By using TLF text, the SWF becomes unloadable with a standard loader, which would require major changes to the main application.  There are obviously font embedding reliability problems as described here and elsewhere with both classic text and the TLF that either persist or were introduced in CS6.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points