Skip navigation
jmd3267
Currently Being Moderated

Trouble creating a PDF/x-3:2002 in Indesign 6

Mar 4, 2013 7:41 AM

Tags: #pdf #indesign #blurbdotcom

I am trying to create a pdf for Blurb.com (book printing online). I am using their plugin for Indesign which provides their specs for proper layout. I designed the book, got my client's approval and now that it's time to creat the pdf it holds up. When looking at background tasks I was able to get to 18% done last week but now it's not showing any progress. I've tried their pdf settings as well as PDF/x-3:2002 which they say will also work but I get the same results. I've checked my images and made them as small as possible. I've worked with them on the problem and after a week they said it's not their problem and I should contact Indesign. I am desperate here because my client is waiting for her books and is getting impatient. Thank you.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to jmd3267

How many pages are in your book file? Have you tried breaking the larger file into smaller bits to process. If that works you can stitch the file together in Acrobat.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 7:54 AM   in reply to jmd3267

You might also try an export to .idml (though that may stall, too, if the file is corrupt). See Remove minor corruption by exporting

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:24 PM   in reply to jmd3267

I don't know anything about PDF/X-3 other than it's pretty uninverally discouraged as a usable standard here on the forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:25 PM   in reply to jmd3267

Did you try exporting in halves, as Larry suggested?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to jmd3267

PDF/X-4 is nearly identical, except that it uses Acrobat 5 compatibility (which leaves transparency live). You can try that and then run the PDF optimizer to flatten the transparency, or make a new preset based on it and change the compatibility. Be sure you set the flattener to High Resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 4:03 AM   in reply to jmd3267

Can you post a link to the Blurb settings file?

There is still a possibility that the issue is someplace in that file, by the way...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points