Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Back-ups Bridge CS6 - Collections, keywords etc.

Mar 4, 2013 7:51 AM

Tags: #export #keywords #metadata #collections #back-up #bridge_cs6 #caches #collection_sets

Hi guys

In order to completely backup the Bridge database with the entire structure and the keywords linked to each picture (so that Picture XYZ has all of the same settings/keywords/metadata) after for instance completely reinstalling the MacBook (clean install), is it sufficient to just drag and drop the /library/Application_Support/Adobe/Bridge CS6/Collections and Adobe Bridge Keywords.xml?

What are the best ways to safely take care of all of the information in Bridge to avoid wasting time reinstalling things after buying a new mac or clean installing it, having had a crash or... ?

Thanks!

Bob

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 8:23 AM   in reply to BobM1990

For keyword file structure it is best to export the file.  In the dropdown box in keywork pannel choose Export and save to chosen location.  Keywords are stored on image.

Are you using database or XMP sidecar file option for raw edits?  Have never worked with database so not sure where this is stored.

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 4, 2013 8:55 AM   in reply to BobM1990

What are the best ways to safely take care of all of the information in Bridge to avoid wasting time reinstalling things after buying a new mac or clean installing it, having had a crash or... ?

Like Curt already stated, exporting the existing keyword list and import again in new set up is the safest way to go and you also have a back up of your existing keyword list.

Keywords and IPTC / XMP data are usually written to the file itself, Raw files use a separate XMP file with the info. I don't use the original raw files anymore but convert them to DNG. This has the great advantage to have written both settings and xmp data like IPTC to the file itself. Otherwise a separate xmp side car file with the same name as the original will be saved in the folder where the originals are stored.

For the rest it is depending on what you are planning. If it is a new Mac with same CS version you can safely copy collections but personally I prefer to have a clean start after upgrading to new Mac or new system version. It seems a bit more work in the first run (and in fact it is a bit more work) but this means everything fresh and not with a lot of older and hidden preferences and settings files that can clutter your new workflow with old flaws and faults, meaning it is a little time investment to have a lot of pleasure in the future :-0

If you want to save your collections try thinking about keywords for them but to be honest, collections have proofed in the past to being not always very stable so if you depend on this for archive purposes you better start thinking about a good key wording and folder structure for this in combination with a proper naming convention (like yyyymmdd-etc. ) so you have multiple options to restore a collection if things go wrong.

Especially upgrading to new CS needs to recache the files again because the cache format has changed every time with a new version. This sounds terrible but in fact it is not all that much work to recache the lot when you use the main folder and the option to show items from subfolders and let it run overnight.

But in all cases it is very wise to have a back up of all pref and other settings from your old system. Personally I always do make a copy of the old user library and store it away in case I have forgotten something. But the Adobe folder in the user library / application support indeed has the most of the settings in it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 6:57 AM   in reply to BobM1990

Perhaps I am being too simplistic but all you need is to back up all your images (this is a must do frequently item) and export the keywords list.  If you use collections you can export that file from the library location.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 19, 2013 7:41 AM   in reply to BobM1990

Not clear why you are overwriting origial image.  If you are copying images from backup to new drive there should be nothing there.

Basically I am very cautions of overwritting as you have to be convinced that the new information is better than the existing information. 

|
    Mark as:
  • Omke Oudeman
    3,998 posts
    Nov 27, 2004
    Mar 19, 2013 9:23 AM   in reply to Curt Y

Like Curt I'm not sure what your workflow is with export image per image.

But for the library copy, when migrating to a new system upgrade with clean install or a clean install on new computer it is very useful to first copy the old user library to a back up location, but in this case it is also wise to rename the copied library folder so the system will not make any mistakes in finding locations and getting confused with several library folders.

The most important folders for me are application support, Caches and Mail but keeping the lot for a while as back up until you are absolutely sure everything is up and running as it should be would be my way to go for.

But don't copy a whole folder of an old library to a new library. This will cause you problems because the application on the new install has stored its own settings. Just compare the content of the two folders side by side. Be sure to have quitted Bridge and see what files are in the new and what in the old.

You only need to look for customized settings you have saved your self. But also be aware that some folders are only created after using or customizing. Especially a new install has not all the folders of your old library. For Instance, you need first start Adobe Output module once before it creates its folders in this location.

In case of the Output module you should look at User templates / contact sheets and inhere are your custom lay out settings stored (same for Media Gallery but I'm not very familiar with that).

It is also possible to overwrite the keyword file but my preferred workflow would be to export the old list and import the new list with replacing the existing default keywords

And further more I would copy the content of Batch rename settings (if you have saved custom settings) and collections but be aware that collections are only aliases of the original files. If you have a new computer changes are an old collection won't be able to find the new location.

Workspaces should also only be copied for same versions.

Photoshop has stored its preset also in the Application support folder.

So in basic, be careful with what to copy and don't replace files unless you are sure they are the correct ones.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points