Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Converting from Frontpage/Expression to Dreamweaver

Mar 4, 2013 8:02 AM

Hi everyone.

I am systems admin for our company and we have been using IIS to run our website using Frontpage Extensions and Frontpage/Expression for around 15 years.  We would like to make the move to Dreamweaver but I am having trouble wrapping my head around a few core concepts.  Google has been surprisingly unhelpful.

1. With Frontpage extensions we worked directly on the website.  With a number of users editing the site I don't want to have to have each one with a 30 gigabyte copy of the site on their hard drive.  Can they not work directly on the site without a local copy?

2. With frontpage extensions, when you change a page name, for example, it updated ALL the other pages that linked to it.  How does dreamweaver handle this?

3. I can't get webdav to work with Server 2012.  Spent weeks on this and on the forums.  No solution.  It works with Expression but not dreamweaver. OK.  We can just use a mapped drive.  Should this work?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 8:32 AM   in reply to jmiller291

1. With Frontpage extensions we worked directly on the website.  With a number of users editing the site I don't want to have to have each one with a 30 gigabyte copy of the site on their hard drive.  Can they not work directly on the site without a local copy?

Short answer - no. In this situation having a number users live editing is a catastrophe waiting to happen what with version control issues. Dreamweaver provides a check in/check out capability to handle such scenarios, with each user checking files out from the live site, editing locally, and checking back in. But once checked out, the files are copied into a local 'site' for editing. The good news is that you have exercised some poetic license with your 30GB file total I'm betting. Most sites would be far smaller than that.

2. With frontpage extensions, when you change a page name, for example, it updated ALL the other pages that linked to it.  How does dreamweaver handle this?

If this is a common occurrence, then each user would have to have a complete copy of the site locally. Then a change to a filename would be propagated to all local files (which would also have to be checked out). And then all checked out files would have to be checked back in to reflect the changes.

I'm not sure about your last question.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Mar 4, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to jmiller291

How about putting the "local files" on your network? Use check-in, check-out. Everyone would not need a local copy if it was stored with access on your network. Yes, you can use a mapped drive that is pointing to the network location. I have done this and it works for me. You can use it for both your local and remote sites as long as the shares are correct.

Another thing to consider on this is the remote files. If you rename a file, it will update the links, etc and upload the changes. If you are talking about the actual file name, it will rename the file and update the links, but you will have to manually delete the old file (filename) from the remote site.

I think I am correct in that, maybe it's just the way mine is configured.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 9:35 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

Jim, I don't think a shared, network mapped local site will work with CI/CO

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Mar 4, 2013 9:56 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

But you can point it to the network location right?

\\Server\sharename\

I use that on my remote,  and this is the local:

Y:\websites\mysite.com\

I was able to use check-in/check-out with it. I am on DW 5.5

It seems to work.

I did a dummy site hooked up to IIS 5 being on a server share and pointed it to shared drive (Y) and was able to connect, check-out and check back in a file.

Jim

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Mar 4, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

I have never used WEBDAV, but here is some info on that:

Use WebDAV to check in and check out files

Dreamweaver can connect to a server that uses WebDAV (Web-based Distributed Authoring and Versioning), which is a set of extensions to the HTTP protocol that allow users to collaboratively edit and manage files on remote web servers. For more information, see www.webdav.org.

1. If you have not already done so, define a Dreamweaver site that specifies the local folder you use to store your project files.
    2. Select Site > Manage Sites, and then double-click your site in the list.
    3. In the Site Setup dialog box, select the Servers category and do one of the following: 
      •   Click the Add New Server button to add a new server
      •   Select an existing server and click the Edit Existing Server button
    4. In the Basic screen, select WebDAV from the Connect Using pop-up menu, and complete the rest of the Basic screen options, as necessary.
    5. Click the Advanced button.
    6. Select the Enable File Check Out option and enter the following information: 
      •   In the Check Out Name box, enter a name identifying you to other team members.
      •   In the Email Address box, enter your e‑mail address. 

The name and e‑mail addresses are used to identify ownership on the WebDAV server and appear in the Files panel for contact purposes.

1. Click Save. Dreamweaver configures the site for WebDAV access. When you use the Check In or Check Out command on any site file, the file is transferred using WebDAV.
      Note: WebDAV may be unable to properly check out any files with dynamic content like PHP tags or SSIs because the HTTP GET renders these as they are checked out.

The above was copied from:

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

The situation you describe will work for you as a single user although there is no benefit in using CI/CO in that case. But if you have multiple users sharing that local site, then CI/CO will fail to offer the protection that you need. That's the problem.

|
    Mark as:
  • Jim Carpenter
    546 posts
    Apr 6, 2006
    Mar 4, 2013 10:08 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

I see. I do use mutiple users on another site, but they edit directly on the server. I stand corrected. It seems like that would be a simple, but useful thing for Adobe to implament... not sure on the complicity of doing something like that.

Murray, thanks again I appreciate your knowledge.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 11:27 AM   in reply to Jim Carpenter

I think it would be pretty complex to allow a shared local site also participate in a CheckIn/CheckOut scenario, unfortunately.

I have every site I've ever built on a single hard drive, and I'll bet I'm not too many times 30GB total (the drive itself is several TB so I have a bit more to go before worrying!). Having multiple users each with a full copy of a single (or even several) sites as local files shouldn't be a huge storage issue.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points