Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Shape thumbnails in CS6

Mar 4, 2013 9:43 AM

Is there any way to get the same looking thumbnails for shapes in CS6 ?

With previous versions I could get the position of the shape just by looking at the thumbnail in the layers palette but now they are only generic icons, I have tried to resize them and set panel options ( Thumbnails contents) but without any luck.

It's really a problem if they are many shapes in the document.

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 1:28 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

As far as I can tell we are stuck with the behaviour that Shape Layers are not displayed within the document’s bounds in the Layers Panel currently.

What do you mean by »generic icons«, though?

Could you please post a screenshot to illustrate the issue?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 6:37 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

It depends on how you create shape layers in CS6 the default way only shows the layer is a shape layer.

CS6ShapeLayer.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 7:47 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

Its a simple task to convert the shape layer to a solid color layer with a vector mask. An action perhaps using the foreground color you first set. Add a stroke style when needed

ConvertShape.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 7:53 AM   in reply to JJMack

For me at least Solid Color Layers with Vector Masks display identically to Shape Layers.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

Does not targeting the shape layer and using Free Transform (Ctrl+T) do that???

FreeT.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 10:48 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

I do not know what your doing. If I select the move tool and check show transforms controls I see this:

MoveToolShowTransform.jpg

If I select the direct selection tool and click on the shape I see this:

DST.jpg

If I select the Path Selection tool and click on the shape I see this:

PST.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 10:50 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

Change the layers panel options to show the thumbnail as the entire document instead of trimming to the layer bounds.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to c.pfaffenbichler

c.pfaffenbichler wrote:

For me at least Solid Color Layers with Vector Masks display identically to Shape Layers.

Yes if you add a solid color fill layer. However if you add an empty layer the use edit Fill to fill it with a color. Then Draw out a Path and use Layer>Vector Mask>Current Path  like my action what do you get....

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 11:19 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

MSSDedalus wrote:

Yes, if you select the Move tool and then "show transform controls" in the shape layer you can see this, the bounds are restricted to the shape layer, but please do the same with the converted "to old way" and look at the bounds of the transform controls. I can't get them to be the same.

OK to get it now to look like the old way the actual layer I used was an empty layer the I filled with a color so the layer is canvas size so in that cast you need to work with the vector path. To Transform the Vector Path. Transform Path.  I can not seem to capture the screen in Windows. The closest I can capture is:  With the vector mask targeted Edit Free Transform Path or Ctrl+T will put the transform bounds around the shape not the layer.

ETP.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 6, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to MSSDedalus

With the way CS6 displays Shape layers if you target the shape layer and do a ctrl+t  or menu item Edit>Free Transform you get the interactive Free transform bounds you want.  If you want an interactive transform in you script I would think you could use the scriptlistner code generated for the Ctrl+T step.   If you just want to resize the shape some percentage I would think  making the shape layer the active layer and getting the active layer bounds that you could resize the layer some percentage. Being  its a shape layer Photoshop might do the resize using vector.

I don't know why the old look in the layers palette is so important to you when with the new look Ctrl+T gives you the transform bounding box you want in the image window|tab.

This script seems to resized my shape layer  to 50%  each time I run it.

var startRulerUnits = preferences.rulerUnits;

preferences.rulerUnits = Units.PIXELS;

var LB = activeDocument.activeLayer.bounds;

var LWidth = (LB[2].value) - (LB[0].value);

var LHeight = (LB[3].value) - (LB[1].value);

alert("width = " + LWidth + " pixels Height = " + LHeight + " pixels");

var percentageChange = 50;  

activeDocument.activeLayer.resize(percentageChange,percentageChange);

preferences.rulerUnits = startRulerUnits;

Message was edited by: JJMack

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

Change the layers panel options to show the thumbnail as the entire document instead of trimming to the layer bounds.

That does not seem to affect the way the Layers Panel diaplays Shape Layers, Solid Color -, Gradient - or Pattern Layers with Vector Masks.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 7, 2013 3:27 PM   in reply to Chris Cox

I was going to post that it should work as Chris says, but I see that there's a bug in 13.1.2 where the shapes fill the icon regardless of that setting.

ShapeLayersNotToDocumentBounds.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 11:01 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

but I see that there's a bug in 13.1.2 where the shapes fill the icon regardless of that setting.

It’s the same on 13.0.4 for me.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

If you do a view fit on screen don't you also see the shape in the image window|Tab in addition of seeing the shape in the layers palette. Not only do you see the position over the canvas you see it composited with the other visible layers.  If the old view is so important to you use a prior version of Photoshop,  If your automating things prior versions of Photoshop have fewer bugs then CS6.  CS6 is the buggest version of Photoshop ever released.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 8:40 AM   in reply to MSSDedalus

Okay, I guess I can generalize my comment to "this is a bug in Photoshop CS6 13.x" then.

I believe Adobe knows about it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 8:57 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Okay, I guess I can generalize my comment to "this is a bug in Photoshop CS6 13.x" then.

I believe Adobe knows about it.

-Noel

It more like the change they made when they change tools icon mouse pointers Adobe knows their new UI is an improvement.  Abobe like change no they love change like changing what indicated which is targeted in a layer the contents or the mask. Adobe does not care if they impact users work-flow their new way is always better.  They will remove Thumbnail Content option next for it does not work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 10:03 AM   in reply to JJMack

JJ, it's pretty clear that Photoshop has disappointed you in some ways, but you seem to want to attribute to malice that which can more easily be explained by inability.

I can't imagine any engineer on the Adobe team wanting to leave bugs in the product for release after customer release, but consider that it may just not be possible for them to deal with them all.  Perhaps the development engineering would require a much bigger team and more funding to get everything done in the given amount of time.  That's the part that bothers me - that this cash cow seems habitually underfunded, even though it's the cornerstone of such a successful software business. 

I think you and I see what it COULD be, if only the engineers could have the time and resources to actually finish it.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 10:35 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I have high regards for Adobe software engineers. I even believe some in Adobe support would like to do a better then they are allowed to do.  I believe its Adobe management that is preventing bug from being fixed.   If the leaders would allow the troops to fix the bugs I'm sure the troops would be up to the task.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,514 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 10:45 AM   in reply to JJMack

Seems like we're in general agreement then.

So here we are, buzzing about on a forum that management most likely doesn't bother reading (after all, it's all about technical problems and complaints).

Some periodical that only execs read ("Yachting Monthly" or "Golfing For Gold" or something) must publish regular articles that say essentially "don't worry about making your product too good, that's not what it takes to succeed in the modern world".  I worked in a corporate environment not unlike Dilbert's world for 30 years; I know how that goes.  Talk is cheap.

I'm sorry, but I'm old school.  I still say it's better to actually build a better mousetrap rather than just saying you did.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    5,995 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 8, 2013 1:02 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm sure the troops would love to build a better mouse trap for it gives you a real good feeling when you build something good that you can have pride in.  However the troops also have families that relay on them.  Their promotions and raises depend on them being evaluated well by management.  When management places high value on change and no value on fixes you get bug ridden products like CS6. Only major problem that crash the app get fixed.

Let me go on a bit more.  Large corporations like Adobe have lots of management the problem is at the top management level the executive level.  Managers that actually manage the troops is not where the problem is at and the troops can not contact upper management.  Upper management has seen to that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points