Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Time stretch tool not rendering correctly

Mar 4, 2013 10:58 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_4.0 #synchronization_problem #time_stretch

(Adobe Premiere Elements 4.0)

When shooting video, I sometimes use an external audio source which does not always sync properly to the video. In editing, I use the Time Stretch Tool to correct this.

After I have done all editing, and used the Time Stretch Tool to sync video and audio (having checked meticulously to ensure it is correctly and consistently in sync), I will save the final project either to disc or to my hard drive. Frequently, this error occurs: the saved file will have ignored the time stretch command I have put on the audio, leaving the video and audio out of sync again.

Any ideas as to what is causing the problem? Or some way to bypass it, without going to the trouble of manually clipping out frames until it is in sync?

Thanks,

Milo

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 4:02 PM   in reply to mgraamans

Does version 4 include a Time Stretch tool? I thought it was a more recent implementation.

In any event, your issue is more likely that you're using a video file that is not fully compatible with version 4. Which isn't surprising, since version 4 had a very narrow range of files it could work with successfully. This is why your workaround might or might not work.

What model of camcorder is your video coming from and what format and resolution is it? How did you get the video from the camcorder to your computer?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:17 AM   in reply to mgraamans

When you set up your project, which settings did you select? (You can see, but not change them, under the Edit menu.)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 11:04 AM   in reply to mgraamans

And your audio, is it aWAV files sampled at 44100?

You really shouldn't need to do any time stretching to get things to sync.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 12:10 PM   in reply to mgraamans

I'm sorry, Milo, but if you captured your HDV video over Firewire connection, set up your project for HDV and you're using a 44.1 khz WAV file, you should not have to stretch the audio or the video.

It's possible, I guess, that you're using such an old version of the program (and possibly an older computer) and that it's having trouble playing high-def video at the same speed as it plays your audio. That would mean that they're still in synch -- they're just not playing back in the program at the same speed.

The test for that would be to use Share/Computer/WMV to output your movie (or a portion of it) as is (without changing either the audio or video speed) and seeing if it still loses synch. It really shouldn't.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:48 PM   in reply to mgraamans

But have you tried outputting it as a WMV WITHOUT using time stretch? Just to see if it comes out right if you don't tinker with it?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points