Skip navigation
goods123
Currently Being Moderated

cs6 focus distance in exif data.

Mar 4, 2013 10:18 AM

cs6 doesn't save the focus distance in the exif data (Canon 7D) like cs5, is there a fix for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to goods123

Might read through this post.  It appears that the new ACR does not record the distance.  Posts 1-3 describe the problem while latter in the thread there is a script offered as a solution.  http://forums.adobe.com/message/5003474

Hope this helps, and if you see a different outcome let us know.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to goods123

The focus distance is still there in CS6 but in a different Aux Exif field.

If you look at the post Curt refered to you will see which it is.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:07 AM   in reply to goods123

It is still there, but not where it used to be so what you could do copy it and put it back to it's original field. You could use ExifTool to extract and then put it back. Then you would be able to see it when online.

Another thing you could do is contact the people that host your pics and see if they are going to update their software.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 12:09 PM   in reply to Paul Riggott

Being the metadata seems to be in the Aux exif was the jpeg created by processing a RAW file and not saved using Save For Web or from the Camera.  Camera may not record that info in the exif it writes for its most likely an optional field. The camera records that info in the makers metadata.  Different versions of ACR may record different Adobe AUX EXIF metadata.  Use Photoshop file info and check the advance tab and see if you can find it in there. I don't know if it will be there. You could try Posting an example jpeg file with all metadata included not a jpeg that was saved using save for web which by default strips most metadata like exif.

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 2:02 PM   in reply to goods123

I opened your images in CS6 and CS5 this is what I see in file info:

CS5CS5.jpgCs6CS6.jpg

Windows Explorer does not show Distance and Chrome does not show it eitherWE.jpg

Propoerties does in the cs5FP.jpg not CS6CS6FP.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 2:41 PM   in reply to JJMack

I wrote in my first append I do not think that your Canon EOS 7D writes the distance in the EXIF metadata it creates in camera.  That the distance is most likely in the Makers metadata.  I think that the Adobe Raw Conversion writes some makers metadata into Image files metadata it writes.  I know it does write to AUX EXIF metadata and I have seen it also add|put things like lens info or max fstop into EXIF data.  Where Canon cameras do not.  It look like it may be a difference in the versions of Adobe Raw converters.  Try a jped from the camera not processed by LR or ACR. See what Canon writes.

Note the difference in the EXIF data in your two images I displayed these with CS5.

ACRcs5.jpgACRcs6.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,057 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 3:08 PM   in reply to goods123

I still think you should process a JPEG from you Camera and see what EXIF data is shown in Windows Explorer and then in Photoshop. Also look at what info is in Windows Explorer for your Tiff or Jpeg out of DPP before Photoshop has a go at it  I still think to has to do with RAW converted and Metadata and what done in the different version of Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points