Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Polygonal Lasso tool exits closes without automatically PSE10- DO NOT TELL ME TO LEARN THE PEN TOOL!

Mar 4, 2013 12:14 PM

Tags: #pse10 #photoshop_elements_10 #lasso_tool #polygon_lasso

I have been searching for the answer to this and have not been able to find one and I can not believe there sin't one. Most just say -'Learn the pen tool' which isn't very helpfull as a. this should be an issu in the first place. and b. from what I can see there isn't a pen tool in PS Elements 10.

I am hoping this new thread might finally provide me with one...

I am running Windows Vista 64bit I have 8gb Ram and a decent video card

So I am making a lot of tricky selections of window panes and if I leave the cursor for too long it auto closes my loop with out me asking.

I am not:

• Double clicking
  • Single clicking
  • Anywhere near the end point
  • Doing anything else apart from moving cursor to the next location to make a point

I have:

• re-instaled PSE 10
  • Changed compatibility mode
  • held down the left mouse button on the bottom left info pane to get a 'not responding error' why this should help I don't know but was suggested in another thread. It's doesn't work...
  • Changed the sensitivity of my mouse settings

This seems to be a bug that alot of people are expereincing. If no one has a solution how do we escalate this to Adobe to sort it out?

Thank you to all who respond.

ps please please please do not sugest to use the pen tool or I will hunt you down - I have PS at work and know how to use the pen tool just fine. I can't afford PS at home so I have PSE

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 1:05 PM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Why do you think anyone here in a forum devoted to PSE would tell you to learn a tool that PSE doesn't have? If you do a global search for all of adobe of course you'll mostly get answers for PS, not PSE. But you're in the right place to ask about PSE here.

Anyway, at the far left end of the options bar is a tiny triangle. Click it and choose Reset Tool. If that doesn't do it, you will need to reset the preferences (uninstalling/reinstalling does not affect prefs): Quit the editor then restart it while holding down ctrl+alt+shift. Keep the keys down till you see a window asking if you want to delete the settings file. You do. In order for this to work you must either start the editor from the button in the welcome screen or by double-clicking its .exe (application) file in the program files (x86).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 10:16 PM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

If the above suggested solution does not work, can you elaborate on your problem exactly? from this long post, it is difficult to comprehend the exact issue out here.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 6, 2013 2:32 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

The trick is to select the lasso tool and then left click the information strip at the bottom of the photo and hold for a few seconds (be patient) until you see the windows frame at the top of the screen (Not Responding)

The lasso tool should then work OK.

lassoBug.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 6, 2013 2:43 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Sorry I didn't see that. It seems to work on some systems.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 6, 2013 2:59 AM   in reply to 99jon

Did you know that with the polygonal tool, as you select by left click, it's possible to press the delete key a couple of times to go back a step.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Mar 6, 2013 3:24 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

It may not, if the selection still auto completes but I thought it may be worth a try - going back a step and pausing.

Have you tried with a different mouse?

Have you tried increasing the RAM available to PSE?

Edit >> Preferences >> Performance

Try pushing up to 80% or 90% but no higher.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:45 PM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Why don't you use Quick Selection tool to select the panes? This will make your job easier of selecting the panes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 25, 2013 1:09 PM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Have you tried the resetting of the preferences suggestion given by Barbara at the begining Toby?

Or tried just resetting the Polygonal lasso tool yet?

What is the result of that step?

That typically fixes any "odd" behavior from a tool. This isn't a bug since it's not something that I experience, or at least have had an easy time reproducing.

If you'd like, you could post an example of one of the images with a window that you're working on and we can see if it's reproducible from our end, or possibly give some other workflow suggestions to make your life easier if possible.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Pete

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 12, 2014 10:00 AM   in reply to tobyhawksmoor

Glad to know I'm not the only one having this problem. It sounds like a cross-platform Adobe issue in multiple programs. I'm using Photoshop CC on a Mac Pro, running OSX Mavericks. Same exact issue. I'll be clicking away with the polygonal lasso, then suddenly the active segment connecting to the cursor disappears. When I click again, it closes the selection from the previous point.

I'm aware of using the pen tool, and I often use it for very long, complex selections, but sometimes when I'm drawing by airbrushing lasso selections I just want to make a quick lasso selection WITHOUT that extra step of Cmd+clicking on the work path. It's only one click, but they add up over time.

This problem doesn't happen when I use the mouse; just the Wacom tablet. Do you think this is a Wacom driver compatibility issue? Resetting the tool does not help. Turning off pressure sensitivity does not help (nor is it feasible).

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points