Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Suddenly this - "Internal Software Error:/....../FileSpec.cpp, line 214"

Mar 4, 2013 3:28 PM

Tags: #error #cs6 #build #encore_cs6 #line_214 #will_not_build

I've successfully burned quite a few DVDs before and never seen this.
I copied an existing file set from which I have successfully burned DVDs and using that copy added another timeline to it.
It previewed perfectly. As far as I can tell the programing is correct.
Check Project runs and comes up clean.
But when I click BUILD the following very long error message appears
"Internal Software Error:/Volumes/Build/Amawat/Main/XcodeProjects/AuthorCore/.. /.. /Sonic/Common/FileSystem/FileSpec.cpp, line 214".
     (the ellipsis like dots in the middle of the line are part of the error message, I did not leave anything out)

I have the project on a portable HDD, so I tried it on other machines (2 Macs and a PC) and got the same error.
I have rebooted all machines at least once and got the same error.
I opened the original file and without any modification, attempted to burn a disc and got the same error.

I am baffled, mostly because I do not have a clue what the error message actually means, but also because I cannot burn the Encore file that has burned just fine several times before.

My plan was to rebuild the changes again, but now that the unmodified file is also failing that seems pointless.

I need to get out a finished DVD and then a Blu-Ray within a couple days.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on and how to fix it?

Thanks, "JP"

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 3:48 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

Can't give any direct help... but 2 things stand out

AuthorCore means the error is generated by a code module licensed from Sonic... and those errors are notorius for being difficult, since the Sonic modules give out (from what I have read) errors that may, or may not, be reported back to the Adobe interface with any degree of accuracy

But... FileSpec makes me think of some saved messages that MAY help

As well as the below, right click the program icon and select Run as Administrator, which is NOT the same thing as running the computer with the Administrator account, and which fixes several "odd" problems... To create a two layer DVD (or a BluRay?), you MUST have Encore set to use the Run as Administrator option

Run as Administrator http://forums.adobe.com/thread/969395

Odd Errors http://forums.adobe.com/thread/670174

Long File Names or odd characters cause problems

Read http://forums.adobe.com/thread/588273

And #4 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/666558

And This Message Thread http://forums.adobe.com/thread/665641

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:18 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

The staff gurus have not visited us for a while...

I'm guessing that you transcoded outside Encore? Or in some fashion did something Encore was not privy to. By redoing it, you got Encore back in touch with the correct files. Or some such... lol.

Congrats on finding a way to fix this!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:26 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

The "revert to original" and transcode is the correct way. And yes, total content larger than disk size gets an error message that is pretty clear and specific.

Adobe staff presence on forums varies quite a bit. Often staff participate on their own time. Participation still seems pretty active on the Premiere forum. Encore is an odd product, I think in part because it is so reliant on the licensed sonicauthorcore (and therefore not subject to Adobe action).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:29 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

>wonder why the gurus aren't lurking in the forums

A bit over a year ago, there was some discussion of release dates... as I remember, there was a link to the Adobe CEO saying there would now be a once a year release of major updates... with a point-5 release one year after a completely new version, and that new version every other year

If that holds true... my GUESS is the relevant staff is hard at work on CS6.5 with very little time for forum lurking

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 12:22 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

i have the same problem too! i did "revert to original" and transcode again but still the same. I also tried to delete the original media and associated timelines, reimported and relinked again, the error still there and not allow me to build the DVD! please help @@

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2013 5:57 AM   in reply to cloud-123

I just don't know much about this error. Given how much you did, I would create a brand new project and try again. You can use "import as menu" your menus from the previous project. I don't believe the psd's themselves will be a problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:14 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

I am having this same issue. This is on a 3/4 Million dollar project and the menu navigation is very complex and took me several days to create. Therefore i would prefer not to have to rebuild this entire project. I have reverted to original and re-transcoded, this did not work. I have cleaned cache, i have done everything i can possibly think. Can anyone help me with this any further?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:37 PM   in reply to jarue1409

While you won't get any more or less help, I would start a new thread. If you are not getting this precise error as quoted at the top, I'd definitely start a new thread.

Please post a screenshot of your flowchart.

Can you tell where in the build the error occurs?

Yes, revert/retranscode and cleaning the cache might have helped. But the fact that it didn't does not tell us much.

Trouble shooting does risk the project.

I would do a "save as" in an attempt to save  version before more troubleshooting.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It is the same exact error as stated at the beggining of the thread here.

Also I am unable to save a new version of the project.

I Will post a flowchart of my porject shortly.

I am working from an Xsan, would this effect encore at all? Should i just be working locally?

I just tried an transcode with different setting and the program crashed.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 2:50 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

Right now i am waiting to see if it will "save as" and it has been sitting here for about 5 minutes. ss.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to jarue1409

I am working from an Xsan, would this effect encore at all? Should i just be working locally?

Permissions have been problems for Encore generally. Even local/external drives.

I'd look at this.

Troubleshoot system errors and freezes | Adobe software on Mac OS 10.x

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/824/cpsid_82414.html

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 3:58 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

I was actually patient and after about an hour or so it did save a new version.

I made a custom compression for transcoding and will update you all when i find out if this works.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 5:48 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

This is ny flowchart. It does not seem to have any issues from what i can see. fc.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

error2.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 5:56 PM   in reply to \"JP\"

I have found that it takes a VERY long time to do a SAVE AS.

As I understand what is going on, Encore is not simply saving a new control track. During a SAVE AS it duplicates ALL the media into a new folder.

Good point re the time it takes. This varies a lot, however, as Encore does not copy media that is outside its project folder, but only transcodes done in Encore (using Encore or AME), which are saved inside these folders. This also means that times can vary with hard drive speeds.

A great feature request is providing a meaningful progress indicator - similar to the build progress with stage and progress within stage.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to jarue1409

I cannot see the detail, but this is very extensive (as you said). What are the rectangles [x's below] between menus?

Sorta: Menu ---->xxxx------>xxxx------>Menu etc

Any chance you have exceeded the DVD limit to 1gig of menus etc.?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 7:30 PM   in reply to jarue1409

Do you have subtitles?

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2013 9:30 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

From the main menu it goes to a second menu that say include "x" file or no do not include "x" file, there are 4 different "x" files so there is a total of 16 ways to play the video.

Yes i do have subtitles.

And to add to this a little background...last week this burned fine. I opened it today and it was corrupt.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 4, 2013 5:47 AM   in reply to jarue1409

And to add to this a little background...last week this burned fine. I opened it today and it was corrupt.

What changed?

The "creating subtitles" behind the error message suggests looking at anything that changed in the subtitles.

And yes, nothing may have been changed, but something "changed."

Very complicated project, and not one I would want to start over.

I do nto use "Save As" as a way to backup Encore projects (because mine are not that hard to start over, and some many things break Encore projects, I don't trust Save As!), but I hope you did! I'd pick up at a previous one that worked.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to jarue1409

Hi there,

did you resolve the issue? I am getting the exact same error message.

I haven't tried this yet, but I think I might have to give all subtitles a 5 frame minimum distance between each other. Sometimes Encore doesn't like it when you have subtitles back to back… but sometimes it works.

Let me know if you were able to resolve the issues please.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 12:37 PM   in reply to GoProjectFilms

OK, I just deleted the subtitle track and re-imported the subtitle txt file and the 'line 214' error message did not appear anymore. Of course now I have a different error message

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:06 PM   in reply to GoProjectFilms

sorry for triple posting, but I think more and more that the whole issue it indeed related to Encore not liking that some of my Subtitles are back to back with 0 frames/space in between.

After I deleted the subtitle tracks (I have English and Spanish) and re created them, the line 214 error went away, but instead I got the error message below.

Screen shot 2013-06-17 at 12.35.43 PM.png

I deleted the video and audio file and suddenly I got the red subtitle overlap for all the subtitles that are back to back and Encore showed up the exclamation mark on the left next to "subtitle 1:" … I re-imported the video+audio file and added it back to the timeline with the existing subtitles and the exclamation mark and red overlap marks went away, but upon re-building, the same error appeared.

So I gave all subs some space and the error went away.

I have 7 short films on this disc and they all have some subtitles that are back to back. I will go ahead and give them all some space and then hoepfully no error messages will appear. Will keep you guys posted…

PS: If you get the red overlap marks, you can right click and choose "Fix Gaps" to have Encore create gaps automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:23 PM   in reply to GoProjectFilms

Let us know. For Bluray subtitles, help says the gap is mandatory. No statement about DVD. What is your project?

In any event, I'd try the gap!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 1:34 PM   in reply to Stan Jones

It's a DVD project and I knew that for BD the gaps are required, but didn't know that Encore might also not like it when your DVD subs don't have gaps.

Bottom line: I fixed all gaps and re-built and no errors!

NOTES: It only highlighted the subtitle gaps as an error after I temporarily removed the Video file. So remove your video file and click anywhere in your subtitle track… now suddenly you get the exclamation mark and the red overlap marks. Right click subtitle tracks and fix gaps. Add video file back in (it automatically goes to 00:00:00:00) and rebuild. Worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 17, 2013 2:05 PM   in reply to GoProjectFilms

Thanks for reporting!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers