Skip navigation
SAS_Creative
Currently Being Moderated

Smart objects from Illustrator and Indesign dimensions problem

Mar 4, 2013 5:15 PM

Tags: #photoshop #dimensions #smart_object

I have been trying to find an answer to this problem for 6 months now and surprised no one else has tried to find any answers.

When we import something from illustrator or indesign as a smart object, for some reason the objects width and height will not keep their  dimensions in proportion.

When the asset is first imported as a smart object it says the width and height are exactly 100%. However after that if you try to change the dimensions they will be out of proportion, usually the width will be 100% but the height will be out by about 1% to begin with. When you scale up, the percentages fall further and further apart. See image attached.

This has become a real problem for our workflow as the creative director insists we must  correct every layer which has this issue by typing in the sizes manually, but then this doesnt always fix the problem either depending on which version of photoshop you are using.

Why does this happen, and how can we fix it for good?

Thanks, Chris.

problem.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 11:40 PM   in reply to SAS_Creative

Check your PS DPI calculation preference.

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:26 AM   in reply to SAS_Creative

correct every layer which has this issue by typing in the sizes manually

Wouldn’t invoking the transform and clicking the »Maintain aspect ratio« button achieve that a bit easier or is the result off after that, too?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 5:59 AM   in reply to SAS_Creative

SAS_Creative wrote:

When we import something from illustrator or indesign as a smart object, for some reason the objects width and height will not keep their  dimensions in proportion.

I do not have the answer for I don't have illustrator and indesign.  I do have Photoshop and have notice that it try to match resolutions and maintain sizes but it may also scale placed object etc. There are some some Photoshop preferences setting that can effect some operations. Photoshop also has support for non square pixels.

Make some test if illustrator and indesign have setting for pixel aspect ratio and DPI resolution. Make sure all documents have the same pixel aspect ratio and same DPI resolution and that the vector object to be imported are not larger then the Photoshop document their being imported to.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 9:32 AM   in reply to SAS_Creative

Do you use square pixels?

|
    Mark as:
  • JJMack
    6,017 posts
    Jan 9, 2006
    Mar 5, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to SAS_Creative

SAS_Creative wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, but none of these would be the answer. Illustrator is Vector so it does not use DPI / Pixel aspect ratios etc.

Do those vectors not have to be mapped into a  document that has some size and resolution?  Text and Vector objects have pixels when printed on a inkjet. Plotters draw with vector graphics still there still needs to be a size geometry component.  So are you sure there is no DPI resolution in indesign and illustrator I find the hard to imagine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 11:15 PM   in reply to SAS_Creative

this still takes just as much time so is not actually a soulution!

I think it should take somewhat less time than manually setting one entry field to the other one’s value, but it is only a work-around that does not address the issue itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 21, 2013 9:11 AM   in reply to SAS_Creative

I'm having the same issue. It's driving me nuts! Did you ever figure anything out for this? Adobe???

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points