Skip navigation
judysherwood
Currently Being Moderated

CRASHING LIKE MAD

Mar 4, 2013 2:47 PM

My InDesign CS6 is crashing like mad.  AND I am finding DBSharingShield files on my desktop. Along with files that look like they are suppose to reopen aftr a crash.  BUT MY ORIGINAL FILES ARE CORRUPTING, AND I AM HAVING TO SAVE NEW FILE NAMES.  If I don't I am screwed.  Is this InDesign???

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 3:03 PM   in reply to judysherwood

Crashing is not typical. Please tell us more about your OS, whether you've installed the 8.0.1 patch for ID, and what you are doing when the crash occurs.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:18 PM   in reply to judysherwood

InDesign constantly backs up recovery data in case of a crash. If that data and the original file are not corrupt, any files that were open at the time of the crash should reopen ready to resave from the last recovery data write.

Please tell us your OS, and what, exactly you were doing at the time of the crash. We cannot help you if you don't provide detailed information.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 3:36 PM   in reply to judysherwood

OK, Mac should be creating a crash report. Please post the crash report on Pastebin.com (NOT here) then post a link to it here. We may be able to isolate a cause from the report.

It's a bit odd that the DBsharing files should be on the desktop. I would expect them to be inthe user library, I think. You might want to trash the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences) and also dlete the other files in John's list at Adobe Forums: InDesign crashes at startup

The files you need to find are hidden in your version of OS X, so if you don't know how to access them, see Access hidden user library files | Mac OS 10.7 Lion

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 4:16 PM   in reply to judysherwood

Looks like it's font related. Do you use a font manager?

Also, please see Troubleshoot fonts | Mac OS X

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 4:34 AM   in reply to judysherwood

It positively looks to be Fonts issue. Please follow my documentation and let me know if you can troubleshoot the corrupt fonts: http://tweakindesign.blogspot.in/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 11:12 AM   in reply to judysherwood

Your intial crash and this crash are because of different reasons, Your latest crash log route to the Protective shutdown of InDesign.

~/Library/Caches/Adobe InDesign/Version 8.0/en_US/InDesign Recovery/ProtectiveShutdownLog

You might want to upload it to http://pastebin.com/ as well to know more about the crash.

However a bit of the detail of your workflow when ut currently crashed could also help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 12:31 PM   in reply to judysherwood

Are you connected to the server or so from where you access the file and work directly on it ?

May we know what were you doing when it crashed ?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to judysherwood

judysherwood wrote:

I am not connected to a server, just the wifi of our office. The file is on an external hard drive that is plugged into my laptop.  I saved the file when it crashed.

Try copying the things you need from the external drive to the local hard drive and work locally. It may be a problem with either the external drive, or the connection to it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points