Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why do I only get the audio when I play video files?

Mar 4, 2013 3:19 PM

I only receive the audio portions when I play video files.  The video is blank/black.  This is happening with mpg., avchd and the videos posted to websites; YouTube, Facebook etc.  The only video files I can play are windows media files.  Windows media PLAYER won't play the other video files?  I have the latest updates for my video card and adobe flash player.  Thanks for any info!  Elwood  Windows 7 64 bit, i7 980x @333 6 core processor, 12 GB ram DDR 1600, Radeon 5850 GPU, OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 3:47 PM   in reply to Elwoodbluesman

It is most likely that the various files contain CODEC's, that are either not installed on your computer, or PrE is not able to use them.

You list several file types, and I would urge you to first see this FAQ Entry, then get one of the file info utilities, linked in it, G-Spot, MediaInfo, or MediaInspector, then post the details on the various CODEC's: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/440037?tstart=0

Also, that WMP cannot play the video indicates the likelihood of a CODEC issue.

Try either of the great, free media players, VLC Player, or MediaPlayer Classic HC. Both contain many useful CODEC's, but they do NOT install them into the OS.

Good luck, and with the CODEC info, someone can give your recommendations.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 7:03 PM   in reply to Elwoodbluesman

So glad that things are working better for you now.

Thanks for reporting.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points