Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

chunky gaussian blur results

Mar 4, 2013 4:42 PM

can anyone explain how not to get chunky blur results in Illustrator? the screengrab shows what I mean...in the blurred portion, you can clearly see square "chunks" like maybe that's the best resolution it could do...matters not even if I scale up the art to be blurred...

thank you!

w

chunkyblur.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 5:46 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

what is your zoom level in the screen grab? what you are seeing, I think, is perfectly normal for your zoom level. it is a bitmap effect and should print perfectly fine.

mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:20 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Is pixel preview on? Overprint preview on or off?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Here are a few screen shots of varying zoom from 100 to 800 percent. Overprint preview and pixel preview are off.

Mike

capture-000044-100_percent.png

capture-000045-200_percent.png

capture-000046-400_percent.png

capture-000047-800_percent.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:24 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

How about overprint preview?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:27 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Argh. What is your document raster effects settings? Mine, because I work on relatively smaller images, is set to 300 dpi.

This doesn't effect output to PDF or image file types. But it does on-screen.

Mike

capture-000050.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:40 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Have you tried an export?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:53 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

It is weird. Should be a good export.

Here is the file I was working on. In the Export for web dialog, I increased the size to double my image.

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/capture-000051_rgb_export.png

Even if the browser resizes it like on this laptop, it looks great on my screen. It also prints to my Phaser great. If it doesn't on your screen, try a print. If that looks OK, it may just be the monitor. And if it does look good in print, are your video drivers up to date?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 6:59 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

I am pretty much out of ideas. Oh, one more thing. Just to make sure, does this happen to all documents or just this one?

Can you share the file? If you don't want it public, you can upload it to your site or perhaps to dropbox.com and PM me the link.

I am headed to the dinner table so it'll be a little bit before I look at it if you do decide to share.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 7:56 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Your object is barely 60 pixels wide. That's pretty small. The sample document opens at 452%.

Here is 100% on my system.

capture-000053.png

Barely larger than the filed for the artboard number...

Try this. For what ever reason the object is grouped. Here is before ungrouping and after.

capture-000054.png

capture-000055.png

That difference shows up at the document's 452% view. Why grouping makes a difference, I dunno.

Is there a reason for such small documents?

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2013 8:41 PM   in reply to wkjeiwoi

Hi W,

Well, personally no matter the output size, I tend to work at a larger size (up to a point). And then scale it down if for the web in the export for web dialog. Similar to, but the opposite of, making posters where I work smaller, export larger.

The file I am linking to is 800px square versus your 200px square. Try export to web at 200 px square. Or 1600 px square. Both are of the same quality and should look good on-screen.

By the way. For this example I used an outer glow and gaussian blur. Look in the appearance panel. I think it achieves the effect but the g-blur will blend the outer glow back into the filled path.

Anyway I think I am off for some relaxation for I nod off. I'll check back in tomorrow.

Take care, Mike

http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/SquareChunksGaussBlur2.ai

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points