Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Nikon D-5200 Raw Files

Mar 4, 2013 4:11 PM

Tags: #raw #files #nikon #d-5200

I recently purchased a Nikon D-5200 DSLR. I found that Photoshop Elements 10 & 11 will not poen the raw files. I can't find a patch that I am able to download to fix the problem.

Is there anyone that can help me with the problem, or suggest another photo editing product besides Photoshop that will open the files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 4:21 PM   in reply to ecox935543

Supported cam raw 7.3

Lightroom 4.3

Cs6

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to shashank saxena

Moving this discussion to the Adobe Camera RAW forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:37 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

You should be able to read the D5200 files if you have the camera-raw 7.3 plug-in for Elements 11.  Have you tried Help / Updates… to update your ACR plug-in?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:41 PM   in reply to Jeff A Wright

If PSE / Help / About Plug-ins… show you already have ACR 7.3 but the D5200 files still won’t open, then another possitility is that they are corrupted by the transfer from the camera to computer using an obsolete version of Nikon Transfer V1.  The Nikon Transfer that is part of an up-to-date View NX 2 should work for transferring the files, or you can also just use your operating system’s commands, like Finder or Explorer to copy the files before opening with Elements 11 and ACR 7.3.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to ecox935543

ecox935543 wrote:

At this time I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 10. I haven't been able to find an update for Camera Raw Files. I have saw that others that have Photoshop Elements 11 could not open raw files.

What ssprengel says is spot on.

You need the very latest version of Camera Raw (7.3) to be able to open the D5200's raw files directly. I don't know much about Photoshop Elements, but looking at the updates page, it appears that you need version 11 to be able to use this latest update, although it's difficult to say now that Adobe has stopped providing downloads.

If you don't want to upgrade to the latest version, you can always make use of the free DNG Converter 7.3 download from Adobe, which will duplicate your D5200 raw files as open standard DNG files, which can be read by your software without an update. It's an extra step, but it's free. It's a shame that Nikon doesn't provide DNG as a file format option on its cameras.

Windows: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5519

Mac: http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5518

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 7, 2013 9:22 AM   in reply to ecox935543

I had problems opening raw files from the nikon d5200 even if I used the latest version of nikon transfer.  I have to use a card reader to manually move all the raw files to the computer.  Then the files open in Photoshop CC or CS6.  I presume this will also work with the latest version of Photoshop Elements.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points