Skip navigation
Illusiumd11
Currently Being Moderated

Crazy lag / slow / when doing anything with text

Mar 4, 2013 6:41 PM

CS6 on PC with 16 gig new ram and i7 and inDesign and Illustrator are both giving me lags. Especially on ID, when I try and use the type tool to select text it takes four to fifteen seconds for the top toolbar to turn over to text! WT*?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 4:42 AM   in reply to Illusiumd11

How many Fonts are currently installed on your PC? Are you using a Font management program? From InDesign preferences, set the Live Screen Drawing to "Never" which is inside the Interface panel. Turn the Preflight panel off by unchecking the On option within the Preflight panel. Within Preferences > File Handling panel uncheck the option "Always Save preview images with Documents". Disable Autocorrect if its on within the preferences. Within the Pages panel, go to Panel Options from the flyout menu and uncheck "Show Thumbnails". From the preferences > Display performance choose Fast display.

HTH

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to PrintFusion45

The CS6 default seetting of Delayed for Live Screen Drawing should be fine, so there's really no need to cripple the functionality entirely. Live drawing would only become an issue if the user delays dragging an object to see the live preview, and I don't believe there would be any connection to switching the Control panel context.

Disabling page thumbnails and switching to Fast display would, likewise, only be effective on an underpowered system. I suspect a font or font manager issue here.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 11:06 AM   in reply to Illusiumd11

If there are a lot of fonts, say more than a thousand fonts, then I would recommend you to remove some fonts and only keep fonts that you frequently use in your development. Say about 300 - 400 fonts only should be good. Suitcase fusion updated to the latest version should cause no problems.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points