Skip navigation
Dreamflite
Currently Being Moderated

CS5 - Color difference between Photoshop and other programs

Mar 4, 2013 8:26 PM

I'm running CS5.5 student edition on a brand new Asus Q500A laptop running Windows 8. i7 processor and a UMA graphics card.

I do not have calibration software; I'm using Calibrize for the moment and colors appear fairly true when browsing after calibration.

My problem is that overall colors in Photoshop appear more saturated than those in regular browser windows, particularly reds. I set up my computer to run the Win8 photos app and my desktop with Photoshop simultaneously and the color difference was immediately noticeable. I did a quick screen grab to show the difference; the inset photo is the one viewed in Win8's photos app, and the background is the exact same photo open in Photoshop.

This is the second install of this program. I originally installed it on a Dell Inspiron with a DuoCore processor (way out of spec, I know - that's why I upgraded!) and I seem to remember having this issue then, too. I found a way to correct it, but I don't remember how I fixed it and Photoshop is no longer on that machine so I can't look over my settings.

I have not changed the color profile in Photoshop. When installed it chose North America General Purpose 2 as default and I've left it there. I experimented with the other color profiles and while the color tone in Photoshop changes, there is still a difference when the image is viewed in another program.

Any help is much appreciated - I can't trust the program to handle color properly right now and until I can, I'm dead in the water.

colorproblem.jpg

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 11:51 PM   in reply to Dreamflite

Is there adifference if you create an image in srgb, embedd the profile and view it in the two applications?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 6:44 AM   in reply to Dreamflite

Photoshop is saving with the sRGB profile embedded by default.

Then I supsect it may be the other application/s that display incorrectly.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 7:25 AM   in reply to Dreamflite

When I view the image on another computer or my iPhone, the image views properly.

Have iPhones become color managed as of late?

In any case: If Photoshop displays a profiled image wrong ou may have a faulty display profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 7:29 AM   in reply to Dreamflite

Just to make sure: What are your Color Settings?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 9:19 AM   in reply to Dreamflite

Yes, I agree the color management gets more complicated as you get deeper into it.  I mostly let others answer those questions. 
    Is you image RGB?  If CMYK it can result in saturated colors I understand.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points