Skip navigation
shjaredarj
Currently Being Moderated

losing image quality

Mar 4, 2013 9:48 PM

Tags: #image #quality

I am working in Illustrator CS5.  I have a jpg I am placing into an illustrator file and for some reason I am losing major quality and I can't figure out why.  I have done this for years with no problem, but for some reason this photo has problems. I have opened the same file in photoshop and quality is great, size is much larger than need and 300 dpi.  Any ideas what could be happening?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2013 11:35 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

It has a color profile attached and AI is converting it quite likely...

Mylenium

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to shjaredarj

Some screen shots would be nice.  Something that shows what you mean by "losing quality".  Your applications should be optimized and color managed to honor profiles ( or not...your call ). And, I'd love to know how you decided the image quality reduced in Illustrator.  Did you view it using a viewer?  I need more information in order to make any type of recommendation.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:33 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

- how is your color management set up? in both apps

- what color space are you working in in Photoshop?

- and in Illustrator?

- do you link or embed the images?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:13 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

First, in Photoshop, Save the file as a targa file and if you can convert it to either lab colors or rgb (without lossing color quality), if it is CMYK. Then save it again as something other than a jpeg. Then close it and then re-open it. Then save it again as a jpeg. This will hopefully remove the color profile.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 9:49 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

hmm... sorry about that, the way I understood the problem, that should have worked as I have had similar issues in the past. Is there anyway to remove the color profile manually?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 2:45 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

Yes, that is correct, just keep the jpeg and get rid of the rest.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 3:02 PM   in reply to shjaredarj

Oh Yes, sorry, absolutely that can be a problem... I understand it hasn't happened before however some images don't interpolate very well... Remeber to try to keep your resolution clos to the final size at the appropriate resolution.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points