Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Colour Correction

Mar 5, 2013 3:25 AM

When colour correcting for Bluray and dvd do I have to make the colour saturation broadcast safe? The video will never go near a PAL encoded broadcast link, or are there other problems that I might face? The church stained glass windows look so much better with the full chroma.

Richard Knight

Replies
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 8:31 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

I would ignore broadcast safe correction and go with what looks good.

It might be a good idea to do a test burn to be sure you aren't

getting any clipping, 'tearing' or artifacts on playback.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

You won't be able to put anything 'out of spec' onto the disk, meaning the transcode to the required format will keep things in check.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 8:25 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

You won't be able to put anything 'out of spec' onto the disk, meaning the transcode to the required format will keep things in check.

Jim,

Just to clarify, are you saying that the transcoding process will automatically make it broadcast color safe or am I misunderstanding?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 8:29 AM   in reply to Paul Mc Bride

I don't know if it'll be 'broadcast' safe.  I don't know exactly what differences there may be between the broadcast spec and the DVD/Blu-ray specs.

But I am saying that PP won't create a file that's not to DVD/Blu-ray specifications.  And even if it did somehow, Encore would only transcode it again to be within spec.  So I say don't worry about it and just keep working.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 4:40 AM   in reply to Richard M Knight

I'll go against the flow and say you should reduce your chroma down to broadcast limits.

I've done some experiements with my own TV (Panny plasma) and what I get when I exceed broadcast limits (that is, push a color beyond the 100% box on the Vector scope), that color "blooms" on the screen. While it is brighter, it holds no detail, and it tends to "bleed" into adjacent areas of different colors. The initial impression that it "looks so much better with the full chroma" soon fades to an annoyance.

Just because it does this on my TV doesn't mean it will on other TVs of course. But isn't that the point? You use broadcast limits because you don't know (can't know) how the various TVs that might be used to show your content will react.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points