Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Dreamweaver 'Preview In Browser' Stops Working

Mar 5, 2013 7:43 AM

Tags: #cs6 #preview_website

This is DW CS6 on Windows 7.

I have several browsers set up for preview. I use the option "Preview using temporary file".

For no reason that I can figure out the preview will stop working. i.e. I hit F12 and nothing at all happens. My impression is that it will be trigered by the content of certain pages - jQuery served by CDN? or something like that? Once it starts NO pages work. If i restart Dreamweaver some pages will be OK, but then the problem will re-appear.

Replies
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 5, 2013 10:23 AM   in reply to latiboolooo

Did you try disabling 'Preview using temporary file'?

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 5, 2013 11:08 AM   in reply to latiboolooo

DW > Edit > Preferences (Ctrl + U shortcut).

Preview in Browser from left sidebar > Select all displayed browsers, remove them using '-' button.

Click '+' button on top and navigate to the installed application path of your preferred browsers. Add the .exe files to the browser. Set your preferred browser as 'Primary'. Save changes. Check to see if Previewing works now.

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 5, 2013 11:35 AM   in reply to latiboolooo

It could be that a corrupt cache/ preferences are causing this error. Trying to 'reset' it may fix it.

The next step would be for you to try trashing your cache: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/494811

|
    Mark as:
  • Sudarshan Thiagarajan
    4,000 posts
    Oct 15, 2010
    Mar 6, 2013 5:30 AM   in reply to latiboolooo

If you think this bug is reproducible, file a report here: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 9, 2013 9:03 AM   in reply to latiboolooo

I have expereinced the preview in browser not working. It's not a browser issue like Mr. Litiboloo stated. I've tried Firefox, Safari and Chrome when the problem started. It is clearly a Dreamweaver issue.

I get the following error message when I switch the design view to live view:

The system reported the error: An unknown error occurred while accessing OS:Users:xxxx.xxxx

I'm using cs6 with 10.8.2

HELP -- Please

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to scooter339

It is clearly a Dreamweaver issue.

I get the following error message when I switch the design view to live view:

The system reported the error: An unknown error occurred while accessing OS:Users:xxxx.xxxx

I'm using cs6 with 10.8.2

I think it's more likely a System issue, as the error message suggests. It appears that there is an inability to access a particular directory or file. Do you see this problem on all files, in all sites?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Photoshop cs6, FW, and AI don't have this sissue. Imported then exported than impofrted the same file to different directories without a problem.

The issue I speak of with Dreamweaver was intermittant at first and now constant.

In addition, the css path vanishes when the preview in browser is called.

See: http://screencast.com/t/Buto6yeMWg

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 11:34 AM   in reply to scooter339

Does it happen with every file in every site you have defined in DW?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 3:56 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

I bring in a file from a different folder than I have been speaking to, and the file displays properly in preview. I close the preview page and the css "tree," What I call is in place.

This is what I mean by a css tree: http://screencast.com/t/Buto6yeMWg

Then, I open another page from the same folder and it does show the css "tree." When I preview the file it displays properly. When I close the page and return to Dreamwaver, the css "tree" is gone.

The issue I was having with the preveiw page is not happening now.

??

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 5:18 PM   in reply to scooter339

What you are calling the CSS tree is called the "Tag Selector" by Adobe.

So, you open a page, can see the tags on the tag selector, and it previews properly. Then you close ... what? The browser with the preview, or the page in DW?

Also, in Preferences > Preview in Browser, are you set to use temporary files on preview?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Preview is set up like this:

http://screencast.com/t/0UmeKe7CIk

I close the browser with the preview. The tag editor is there. When I open another file in the same folder then edit then preview in browser -- I close the browser and the tag selector is gone.

To resotre it I have to close Dreamwever and evoke it. Then the tag selector reapperas when any file in the folder is openend. Then the behaviour resumes if I i open a diferent file in the same folder.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 6:49 AM   in reply to scooter339

After closing the browser when you see the tag selector has vanished, what happens if you just click back into Code view in DW?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 12:53 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Nothing I'm sorry to say.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to latiboolooo

currently fighting this battle as well, i will stay tuned for answers! 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:02 AM   in reply to Sseeter

The tag editor vanishes now when I open another file in the same folder.

My workflow is beign interrupted becuase I have eo evoke Dreamweaver as time after time I edit a new page.

This situation is almost intolerable. Is there an update to ver 12.0?

If seeter and I are both experiencing the same bug, then that rules out a lot of system and hardware issues.

I NEED HELP HERE please.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 9:30 AM   in reply to scooter339

I NEED HELP HERE please.

I'm not sure you will get it here. Clearly all of the 'answerers' are puzzled by your symptoms. If any of us had also experienced such, you would surely have heard from us. It seems to me as if there are system issues contributing to the problem, but I can't describe any specific ways to test for that since I don't know what those system issues might be.

Failing physically coming to your computer and sitting at the keyboard, perhaps you can describe your site definition and architecture and system details in as much detail as you can? That may illuminate some common element between each of you.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 1:40 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

How about we do a teamviewer.com session and you can look at whatever settings that might help diagnose this problem. Name a time, I'll make sure I'm available.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 2:44 PM   in reply to scooter339

Later this week - say on Thursday/Friday?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 2:52 PM   in reply to MurraySummers

Great. Friday 3pm Mountain?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2013 3:35 PM   in reply to scooter339

Fine - you can email details to me at forums at great dash web dash sights dot com.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 12, 2013 5:10 AM   in reply to MurraySummers

Hi Murray -

Thanks for offereing to do a temviewer meeting to diagnose the missing tag selector problem.

I figured out the issue. You eluded to it but I didn't comprehend. What happend was I had two pages open in Deamweaver with two differnt style sheets. I don't get why DW couldn't handle that but when I switched between the two documents the tag selector went away and I had to evoke DW to "fix" it. The problem persisted of course.

The work around for me was to open one of the pages in a browser and view source or use a plain text editor to view the .css.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 13, 2013 4:47 AM   in reply to scooter339

Maybe I spoke too soon.

While editing a site yesterday, the tag editor displayed on the first page I opened. When I opened the second page that shares the same .css, the tag editor would not display. When I swtihced over to the first page, the tag editor was there.

The issue with the preview in browser has gone away after I deleted then replace the primary and secondary browsers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points