Currently Being Moderated

Illustrator CS5: How to work with multiple placed graphics going to print

Mar 5, 2013 10:04 AM

Tags: #illustrator #cs5 #adobe #export #printing #objects

Illustrator CS5 windows platform

Novice user

Hi,

I have been trying to create what I think should be a simple graphic:

10 third party logos placed in a single file.

The finished graphic is to be sent to a mechandizing company in vector format to be embossed onto journals (to give out at an event)

I have saved the file as eps and sent it to the distributer - who rejected the file saying it was "wrong"

I made sure that each individual logo was an eps, saved as a new eps and was again told it was "wrong" and that the file opens as a bitmap.

I'm pretty new to illustrator and have searched extensively for a solution to the above problem.

Is there a workflow that I should follow to ensure that my final graphic will open as a vector and not as a bitmap?

Thank you

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 10:18 AM   in reply to vtayloracamp

Save as a PDF from AI.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:33 AM   in reply to vtayloracamp

Is there a workflow that I should follow to ensure that my final graphic will open as a vector and not as a bitmap?

Take Larry's advice above, but it only applies if those logos were vector graphics to begin with. The (mostly) obsolete EPS format can contain vector, raster, or a combination of both. If one or more of the logos you placed in the layout is made up of pixels, nothing will change it to vectors automatically.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:34 AM   in reply to vtayloracamp

EPS artwork needn't necessarily be vector. So you might need to vectorize the logos first.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:43 AM   in reply to vtayloracamp

As already posted, those logos must be Black and White VECTOR artwork and saved as an EPS for output to a negative ( or positive ) which will be used to create the emboss.  This is not a print job, not CMYK, not RGB.  And, as Monika has written, no bitmaps, no color.  The vendor does not need a PDF ( although they could use one ), they want to make sure the artwork is vector, including fonts.  Their output device uses EPS.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:15 PM   in reply to vtayloracamp

The original source of a given logo should be able to furnish a vector-based file. Barring that:

would i need to reconstruct the logo by tracing the lines?

Yes.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:17 PM   in reply to vtayloracamp

Check this out:

www.logotypes101.com

See if you can locate each one of the logos.  If you find one, download the "EPS" file only.  See below

Screen shot 2013-03-05 at 03-05-13 ◊ 4.14.15 PM.png

Open it in Illustrator and recolor it Black and White ( if necessary ) and resave it using a new name ( thereby keeping the original intact just in case something should go wrong ).  When you do this for every logo needed for your emboss file, you can then, as a final step, copy and place the vector artworks into your layout.

The other option is redrawing the bitmap artwork which is not easy.  You might do a keyword search online to see if there are any other logo databases out there that offer free downloads like LogoTypes101 does.

You should be able to identify a bitmap artwork vs. a vector artwork.  In your original file, do a "select all".  When you do this, you should be able to see the paths in the vector files and the "box" for Placed bitmap files.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:22 PM   in reply to vtayloracamp

I've noticed that when graphics are placed their outline is the outline of the artboard rather than the image itself.

The plot thickens...literally and figuratively.

That most likely means they have clipping masks...probably a product of having been back-saved as EPS files.

With the artboard-size frame selected, choose Object > Clipping Mask > Release

But whatch what happens to the graphic when you do that. If it changes in any way, you won't want to carry on unconscious of the fact that the logo is fouled.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points