Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

SmartSound

Mar 5, 2013 10:09 AM

I'm on 11 and started with 9.  I tried SmartSound with 9 and gave up.

I tried it again, it installed OK.  It was a little confusing as each attempt to try a track lead to strong advertising.  But, I got past that.  I can make it work with the few free tracks in PrE. 

The question is how to get tracks for less than $35!  Is there a secret?

Thanks.

Bill

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 10:24 AM   in reply to whsprague

Bill,

I have not explored the entire portfolio from SmartSound, in some time, but they had maybe four sets of lower-quality (but still quite good) 22KHz music bundled for "home movies." You might want to poke around these offerings: http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/library/Home+Movies

Unlike the Multi-Track releases, there is less customization, and also fewer variations to the music in those bundles. Going way back, I added all of those during a "sale," to augment the included tracks. Those got me by for about a year, until I began using Pinnacle Studio 6, or so, and doing more work. Then, I began watching for e-mails on sales, and purchased many of those Libraries. Now, I have about 75-80% of their entire line up, at least the types of music that I use most often. When one registers with SmartSound, with a valid e-mail account, they will get info on various sales, and some of those are great. Unfortunately, I already own most of the music, so they entice me less often, than they once did.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 10:26 AM   in reply to whsprague

Also, with just the signing up: http://www.smartsound.com/royalty-free-music/free.html one has access to free music, as it is released. Over the years, there have not been many titles offered, that I have seen, but hey, free is free.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to whsprague

Yes, you do get SmartSound Express Tracks with version 11. You also get, as I say in the class, a limited use copy of SonicFire Pro. Which you don't need to use Express Tracks -- although you do need to install it along with Express Tracks.

Express Tracks includes 10 music packs, which you can see if you check the Owned By Me box and uncheck the others.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to whsprague

Sonicfire Pro (there are two editions) IS the SmartSound module.

For a little history, there was once QuickTracks, which was a plug-in from SmartSound, for several different NLE's, plus there was Sonicfire Pro, which was a stand-alone program, that was like Express Tracks with many enhancements. QuickTracks was free, and was also included with many NLE's.

Then, SmartSound introduced a new Sonicfire Pro, and there were two versions of that initially, Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks (free), and Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, (~ US$100) with greater power, but only with the Multi-Track titles. For a moment in time, the older QuickTracks could not work, at all, with the newest Multi-Track music. Then, SmartSound replaced the SmartSound QuickTracks (still available for older NLE's), with a Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks, as a plug-in, for both versions of Premiere and After Effects.

Most recently, they reworked Sonicfire Pro Scorting Edition, to work as a plug-in with Premiere Pro and After Effects, but I do not think that that particular program (the plug-in version), will work with PrE - one might still have to used as a stand-alone program.

What is now included in PrE is Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks, the plug-in.

Now, if one is using Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks, all SmartSound music can be used, from the 22KHz (Home Moive titles), through 44.1KHz, and into the 48KHz Multi-Track titles. The same is true for Sonicfire Pro Scoring Edition, with one major exception - when used with the Multi-Track titles, there is an amazing amount of control, that one has with the music. Where normally there are 2 - 8 variations, depending on the exact music disc, with the Multi-Track titles, in the Scoring Edition, the variations are almost limitless.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:07 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Are you saying that QuickTracks is still active, and included with PrE? It was my understanding that it had been replaced by Sonicfire Pro Express Tracks, and the old QuickTracks was only a legacy plug-in for older NLE's. Maybe I misunderstood the Customer Support folk at SmartSound?

I need to explore my PrE 11 a bit more, as either my information is incorrect, or perhaps my understanding of it.

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That's right, Bill. In version 11, Smartsound Quicktracks has become Smartsound Express Tracks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 7:04 PM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

On my installation, "Edit in SmartSound" calls up Sonicfire Pro, just as I was told by SmartSound. Not sure what is wrong with my system, and my installation, as it is just as SmartSound Customer Support had advised.

Thank you,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 7:56 AM   in reply to whsprague

Did you request and use the free serial number you were prompted for when you first launched SmartSound/SonicFire?

You will then be prompted to update the program.

And, as I said above, you need to uncheck all but Owned Titles in order to NOT see the buy options.

Finally, note that SmartSound is continually updating this software. It does look a bit different than it did in October, when we shot the tutorials. The interface is now called SonicFire Pro 5 - ET (as in whs's illustrations above). But it works the same way as Express Track. Because it still is Express Track.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:06 AM   in reply to Steve Grisetti

Steve,

Thank you for that verification, as it matches what SmartSound Customer Service shared with me.

Depending on where one has their SmartSound Music files located (the destination location, when installing music, from say a SmartSound disc), there can be three choices for music:

All Music

Music Owned by Me

Music on Computer (basically "Owned by Me," but the location can matter, in the display of titles.*

For the All Music, one is looking at everything on SmartSound (owned yet, or not), including everything owned. That can be useful, if one is looking for something particular, owned or not, and if it is not yet owned, then there are often several purchase options, such as buy the disc, or just that song.

Hunt

* In my case, with my laptop, which has PrE 11 installed, my SmartSound music is on an external HDD, Y:\. When I do not have that plugged in, I get a warning message, and the only music I see, with Owned by me, is the free music, that is installed with Sonicfire Pro/SmartSound. When Y:\ is connected, I see everything owned by me. I will probably Copy the PrE 11/Sonicfire Pro free music to Y:\, but leave it on the laptop, just for testing, if Y:\ is not connected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points