Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

"Could not open scratch file because disc is not available" Mac

Mar 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Tags: #photoshop #cs6 #scratch_disk_unavailable

I recently changed the Photoshop (CS6) Scratch Disk choice from the default Boot Drive to one of the other internal drives in my MacPro (OS 10.6.8).

When I restart Photoshop (CS6) I get the message:

"Could not open scratch file because disc is not available"

and Photoshop will not launch.

I then restart Photoshop with "Command - alt - shift" keys held down

(as per suggestion at <http://forums.adobe.com/message/3937003>)

and reset the preferences which allows Photoshop to come back.

(Resetting preferences returned the Boot Drive to scratch disk status.)

I have another MacPro that - same OS 10.6.8 and Adobe CS6 - and I don't have this scratch disk allocation problem.

What is going on with the one  MacPro that prevents me from selecting a Photoshop scratch disk other than the boot drive?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 12:00 PM   in reply to DaleH

You might check the /Volumes directory and see if there are any duplicate names or leftover directories due to mistakes.

(I know svn created a duplicate once that left me wondering where my files went)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:06 PM   in reply to DaleH

/Volumes is the directory on your system that contains all the mounted volumes.

Do you know how to use Terminal and the shell?  If not, you will probably need to get someone more experienced to help you clean up your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:13 PM   in reply to DaleH

Probably a permission issue.  Run the Apple Utility disk to fix permissions.  If that does not work look at the non-boot drive and check "ignore ownership"..  Open the Finder Get Info Window and it is entry at bottom.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 7:01 AM   in reply to DaleH

Not sure about the "ignore ownership" issue.  I will give you what I know about the Windows system and figure the same holds for Mac although the steps will be different.  You can find a "how to on the web". 

If files are created with one computer and put on a hard drive the drive has an ownership "tag".  Now if you switch the drive to another computer permission issuses can arise as now the old ownership tag is not the same as the new ownership tag.

The solution is to go into the drive permissions and add the new ownership "tag" and that will give you read and write permissions.

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to DaleH

Dale:

I'm having the exact same problems since upgrading to PS CS6. I've changed my scratch disk from the default boot drive to another internal drive. I've reset the 'ignore ownership' option by checking the box and that fixes the errror message that you are getting. But for me the OS is not remembering or saving taht setting. Subsquently each time I reboot I have to go into the Finder and do a 'Get Info' on that drive and check the box again. So I donb't know if this is a bug in OS 10.8.2 or what the problem is.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 14, 2013 12:56 PM   in reply to DaleH

Dale,

I've only done it on internal drives and it happens to any internal drive (three other drives). I've not tried re-initalizing the drive.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 11, 2013 10:03 PM   in reply to DaleH

I just figured this out, and it's pretty simple--it is permissions.

Select the drive, get info (command-i). A window will open. At the bottom open the "Sharing and Pemissions" tab. You'll find  the "Priviledge" set to read only to some of the users. Unlock by clicking on the lock icon and set them to read and write.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 3:04 AM   in reply to DaleH

Possibly a noob suggestion but it may not be permissions in some cases. It may be that you've upgraded Photoshop and have old version(s) of it on your computer. In this case, deleting the old versions and/or any Library Preferences relating to Photoshop (on Mac, anyway) could fix it.

This seems to have worked with Photoshop CC, after having the problem with both CC and CS6.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 3, 2014 6:13 AM   in reply to ben.bland

In my case it took a fair amount of time to track down but I have a conflict happening. In my photography business I have a business app (SuccessWare) for book keeping and managing my business and the developers for this software require users to use a hardware dongle to use the software. The driver for that dongle is the culprit that is causing my issues. When I remove it my problems will stop reinstall it and the problem returns. I'm now running Mavericks and the problem still exists and the company that develops the dangle driver will not acknowledge that there is a problem. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points