Skip navigation
DustinMCHD
Currently Being Moderated

Mouse Pointer Stuck CS5.1

Mar 5, 2013 12:31 PM

Tags: #mouse_movement #fireworks_cs5

Hello,  I have a pressing issue that I cannot seem to solve. 

Windows 7 Home Premium

Design Premium 5.5

I have used Fireworks many times, but not within the last few weeks.  Now whenever I open it, the mouse pointer is stuck in an area of the screen, usually in the upper right side and isolated to maybe a 20x20 pixel area.  It is not frozen and the hot keys still work.  I can alt-tab out and back in with no change as well as minimize, maximize, reposition with the windows hot keys, etc.  I have disabled almost all of my startup programs as well aside from Avast, no change.  I also tried renaming my Fireworks preferences folder so it is forced to create a new one.  I uninstalled Fireworks and reinstalled.

What does work?  All other apps in the Deisign suite work without issue.  If I log out of my windows account and log into a newly created account.  It is following my Windows profile.  It would be exremely difficult to switch back and forth so I'm looking for a solution within the same account.  Also, I have not recently added any hardware and as far as I know all my Windows updates are up to date and video drivers(ATI) and other hardware are up to date.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dustin

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 8:26 PM   in reply to DustinMCHD

Here are a few troubleshooting links, but they're really "laundry lists":

http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/troubleshoot-system-errors-f reezes-windows.html

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/troubleshoot-launch-issues-pr oblems-cs5.html

It sounds like you're on the right track if you've traced the problem to your particular user account or profile. This suggests that it's either a Fireworks file associated with that profile, another application being run, or a system preference of some type.

But it's a weird-sounding bug, too. This may sound stupid, but if you're on a desktop system, have you tried unplugging the mouse?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 10:49 AM   in reply to DustinMCHD

I've sometimes seen Flash panels hide the mouse to show a custom cursor when over a panel, but then fail to reshow the normal cursor when the mouse moves out.  So it looks like your cursor's disappeared.  This has mainly been on Mac, though.

You might try temporarily renaming the C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Adobe\APE directory to something else and restart FW.  APE is a platform for using AIR to build panels, and it's possible that it's interfering with the cursor somehow.  I've seen FW get into a state where it would hang on launch, and disabling APE for a bit fixed it.  But that's pretty much a shot in the dark.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points