Skip navigation
philiprice
Currently Being Moderated

Part of bleed missing on right facing page

Mar 5, 2013 1:00 PM

Tags: #bleed #book #slug #crop_marks #perfect_bound

I'm working on a book with facing pages that will be perfect bound. When I create a PDF by printing a postscript, it comes out very strangely... it seems to be removing part of the bleed on the right facing page, which results in a book that won't be trimmed evenly. I can't seem to figure it out... I've attached two screenshots that show how it appears in InDesign, and how it appears in the resulting PDF.

indesign.pngresulting PDF.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 5, 2013 1:10 PM   in reply to philiprice

based on your screen shots, it seems like your pdf is showing Bleed Marks and not trim marks. If that is the case, your pdf is exactly as I would expect it to be.

You don't have and color in the bleed area, so the red only goes out to the trim marks in the center sides, because it is picking up red from the facing page. Check your printer mark settings when you make the pdf - you need crop or trim marks to show. You also need your red to go out to the edges of your bleed area in InDesign, to allow for slight variations in trim accuracy.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 2:55 PM   in reply to philiprice

what i see in the screen shot is both pages are offset to the right. the far left red panel does not align with its crop mark.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 3:06 PM   in reply to philiprice

Dunno. When I was using print to postscript I didn't have the issue. I can make some tests...but it would be apples to apples if you uploaded the test document above to dropbox.com and provide a link.

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 4:59 PM   in reply to philiprice

There was, and still is, as far as I know, a bug in how bleeds are set in facing pages when exporting. Outside translates to left, and inside to right on both pages, so if the bleed setuyp is uneven you can get bad results.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:19 PM   in reply to philiprice

I could be misremebering, and in fact suspect I am, and that it is in fact a bug with distilling. I think it first showed up in Print Booklet...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2013 5:39 PM   in reply to philiprice

For going to a postscript file, you are going to need to add the inside bleed. Result should be identical to doing the export to PDF. At least for this simple example file. Cannot remember properly, but I think you also need to use centered instead of upper left...but I could be wrong.

capture-000069.png

Take care, Mike

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points