Skip navigation
CharlieLDavis1992
Currently Being Moderated

When exporting my Indesign Layout with Images, the images disappear ?

Mar 6, 2013 3:42 AM

Tags: #indesign

When exporting my indesign layout the images disappear once exporting as a PDF print.

I have had several information bubbles appear claiming I need to alter my blend space due or colour settings ?

I have altered the blend space to rgb and still it does not work.

I have also unlocked all the layers in attempt for this to work.

My assignment is due in tomorrow and still I cannot get this feature to work

any help would be great !

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 4:26 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

First things first....

Version of ID? OS? Export settings?

Do the images appear on screen if you switch to Preview mode in ID? How are you viewing the PDF?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

CharlieLDavis1992 wrote:

When in preview mode they do not appear either.

If you understood my question and the images also disappear in InDesign when switching the screen to Preview mode, or Overprint Preview, that means they are set to non-printing in some way. Either they are on a layer set to non-printing, or they're set to non-printing on an individual basis in the Attributes panel.

>I am using the latest OS,

Not really helpful. OS X? Windows? Probably not relevant, as it turns out, for this problem, but you should be specific.

>The pdf appears in preview

Does that mean you are trying to use Mac Preview to view the PDF? If so, it may give you bad results. Mac Preview is not a godd general-purpose PDF viewer and is incapable of rendering complex PDF.

The first error dialog you show is what you would get when opening a file in ID that has different document color spaces than the default settings in your color settings file. That's not a problem, and to preserve the color appearances you would leave things as they are.

The second warning dialog indicates you are making an interactive PDF, which is RGB. If you are using CMYK images I don't think you'll avoid color shifts no matter what you do if you have transparency, but I don't do interactive PDF, so I can't give good advice here. If you are using RGB images, by all means your transparency blend space should be set to RGB.

Can you post a screen shot of the export dialog?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:22 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

OK, the smallest file size preset also converts to RGB, so that's probably why the second error is coming up.

Since the images also disappear in overprint preview they are almost certainly set to non-printing as I mentioned in my previous post. It's possible, I suppose, that some blend mode might be responsible, but it's pretty unlikley.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:31 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

You're only confusing yourself by hanging on to the color settings issue. Yes, your setup isn't really correct, but it's not the likely cause of the non-printing images. Select an image you know is disappearing and the check the Attributes panel. Is anything there selected? Also check the Layer Properties of the layer on which your images reside.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:32 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

This is not a profile issue.

Open the Layers panel and locate the layer that has the image. If the name of the layer is in Italics, it's set to non-printing, so right-click the layer name and choose Layer Options, then check the box to Print Layer.

If it's not the layer, for each image, select the image, then open the Attributes panel (Window > Output > Attributes...) and make sure the Nonprinting checkbox is not checked.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 5:42 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

Can you post a screen shot of the layers panel?

I'll be out for about 45 minutes...

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 6:00 AM   in reply to CharlieLDavis1992

Back sooner than I thought.

It might be easier to identify the problem if I can see the actual file. If it's not sensitive, you can post a link to it here, or if you prefer not to share withthe world I'm going to send you an upload link to my dropbox.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points