Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Reverse stack

Mar 6, 2013 4:57 AM

Does anyone know if it’s possible to reverse the stacking order of several objects?

I don’t think it’s possible except by laboriously moving each object but maybe I’ve missed something.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 5:08 AM   in reply to Steve Fairbairn

It's in the layer panel's menu.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 7:50 AM   in reply to Monika Gause

Monika, under what conditions is this menu item available? When individual objects within a layer are selected? When entire layers are selected? When objects on different layers are selected?

Maybe another way to ask is REVERSE ORDER of what? Objects? Layers?

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:10 AM   in reply to Doug Katz

fellow Doug,

after a little voyage of discovery, expand the layer, select your objects in the layers panel and then hit reverse order and it does what you'd expect.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to dougofakkad

What I would expect it to do is reverse the stacking order of two or more selected objects (or two or more layers, I don't know which). So in CS5 on a Mac, I open a new document, draw two simple rectangles, select them both, then open the Layers panel flyout menu. The REVERSE ORDER command is inaccessibly gray.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 1:46 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

Select the objects in the layers panel. Shift-click (or command-click if they are not all together) to highlight the objects in the panel (not just the dot, but the whole line). Then it should work.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 6:16 PM   in reply to SRiegel

Yes. Got it. Thanks.

That's not really selecting objects in the conventional sense of the term. It's "highlighting object level items in the layers panel" but not selecting objects. Makes me realize after these many years that we all use the word "select" somewhat ambiguously.

Highlighting layer panel items allows a user to act on those items within the layers panel (move, copy, delete, reverse order, and so forth). Selecting objects in the layers panel (at the far right of each item) allows the user to act on those items BOTH within the panel AND on the artboard. Some actions require selecting. Others require highlighting. But it isn't always clear which of these is meant when a user is directed to "select objects in the layers panel."

How often we befuddle ourselves and each other, not because an operation is confusing but because our language isn't as precise as it could be. Mea culpa.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 8:13 PM   in reply to Doug Katz

I looked in the help files regarding the Layers panel specifically to see if Adobe has assigned a usable term other than "select" for highlighting things. All I can find is "click the names of items you want to reverse," so no, there is no unambiguous term for that part of the process. I don't think it's your fault, Doug.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points