Skip navigation
Offul Duster
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie: Recording on iPad, Editing and saving as Quicktime

Mar 6, 2013 5:35 AM

Tags: #premiere_elements_11 #ipad_mini #editing_on_an_ipad #save_as_format #keeping_quality_during_editing #saving_as_quicktime #saving_in_quicktime

Hi guys

Apologies for a very basic question, but there's SO much detail I've lost sight in the trees....

• I have recorded clips on my iPad Mini.
  • I wish to edit them on a PC and not lose quality.
  • I then want to save them as a Quicktime file format and also in a YouTube format

1. Is it advisable to save the original clips in a different higher quality format first - before I edit?
  2. If so, what settings should I use when using the  'Save As' formats to keep this higher quality during my editing?
  3. What export settings should I use when saving the final file as a Quicktime file that can be used by Macs and PC's?
  4. I am UK based. Does that make any difference to settings in the 'Save As' the editing file types (because I want them to work in the US as well?)

Thanks for any help

Pete

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 5:49 AM   in reply to Offul Duster

I assume you're using version 11. It's the only version that will edit iPad video. And I assume you've installed the latest version of Quicktime, per the program's requirements.

If you use Premiere Elements' Add Media tools to get the video from your iPad to your computer, version 11 will automatically set up your project to match your video -- so you'll get the highest quality possible.

To output the best quality for YouTube, use Publish & Share/Computer/AVCHD and select the preset for YouTube HD from the drop-down menu. This is also an excellent setting for saving your video for playback on both a Mac and PC.

There's no point in saving anything to a "higher quality" format. You can't add what's not there. Just use the right workflow and all will be well.

Meantime, be sure to check out my free 8 part Basic Training tutorials so you'll have an understanding of the basic moves for adding media and outputting your videos.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/537685?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 6:46 AM   in reply to Offul Duster

Just remember that, although this workflow will give you the best possible quality, YouTube is going to digest and re-encode your video anyway. And there's nothing you can do about that. It's the only way they can have millions of videos streaming from their site every day.

But this will give you the best possible quality. And ONLY with version 11.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points