Skip navigation
penguinfxg
Currently Being Moderated

Since upgrading to CS6, fxg exports from flash are missing elements, is there a fix?

Mar 6, 2013 8:09 AM

Tags: #flash #fxg #cs6 #illustrator_cs6 #missing_elements

With CS5.5 I could export vector art from Flash and open it in illustrator. Now with CS6  I cant do that without breaking everything apart if flash first. This can cause masks to be lost and is a lenghty and complicated process. If I don't break everthing apart not all the layers are imported on the fxg when opened in illustrator. Does anyone know of a solution for this?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 8:38 AM   in reply to penguinfxg

You might want to tell us some details about your art and your process, show some examples, etc

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2013 11:32 AM   in reply to penguinfxg

I get this exact same issue.  I open a Flash file, select everything on the stage (in a single frame) and then make a movieclip (F8) from it.  Then I Export->Selection to fxg.  Upon opening this in Illustrator, it is missing alot of visual information.  This worked fine in CS5.5.  Any workarounds or fixes on their way?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 4:52 PM   in reply to penguinfxg

This is frustrating here too- when I export from Flash as an FXG, symbols disappear. Screen Shot 2013-09-09 at 4.36.11 PM.pngScreen Shot 2013-09-09 at 4.36.30 PM.png

The characters are built the same way that the car is- some symbols just do not show up when the FXG is opened in Illustrator. Frustrating.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 9, 2013 5:16 PM   in reply to Steerforth

Well, figured it out- if any of you are out there with the same issue- the fxg export from Flash does not like symbols when their innards are distributed to layers. The car above was a symbol with multiple symbols inside- BUT they were all on one layer. The other characters' innards were symbols that were distributed to multiple layers.The FXG just took the bottom layer of those symbols. Once all the symbols were placed on the same layer within those symbols, it exported and opened correctly in Illustrator.

For whatever its worth, I find the Flash drawing tools much faster to work with as an illustrator than the program illustrator. I like being able to just grab a line and pull and bend and shape like I can in Flash, rather than making points in illustrator before I can manipulate. Just faster... as is being able to grab colors and adjust them... sooo much simpler than using Adobe Illustrator for the initial illustration development.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Steerforth

I've noticed it too and figured the layer thing, and share your opinion regarding the flash drawing tools and find those FXG bugs extremely annoying. I have one machine left with CS5 so I try to use it for conversions cause with CS5 it was working perfectly. I hope they will fix it in the next version.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 10:40 AM   in reply to penguinfxg

I don't think they need to be broken apart- they just need to all be on one layer. All the symbols can just sit on top of each other and stay symbols. I've gotten used to it now and (as long as I remember) it seems to work all right.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 5, 2013 11:00 AM   in reply to Steerforth

no, I know what you mean, I didnt mean break completely. I normally work with many layers in one symbol becuase I dont often animate. so grouping or symbol making all the little details is a hassle and I dont understand why it would change from cs5 in which it was so perfect.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points