Skip navigation
Rob Day 3,122 posts
Oct 16, 2007
Currently Being Moderated

Acrobat XI Color Management Change

Mar 6, 2013 8:51 AM

I was responding to a thread (http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1165011?tstart=30) yesterday about black turning to 4-color in Acrobat and realized that (unless I'm missing something) the Output Preview (and I assume print output) has change in Acobat XI. Something tells me we might be seeing more questions about changing black values.

In Acrobat X the Output Preview simulation profile always showed the CMYK values of a PDF/X-1a or an unprofiled PDF as unchanged—the appearance of color changed not the numbers because the numbers would always be output unchanged.

In Acrobat XI the Output Preview is working differently. For PDF/X-1a the numbers change for any profile that conflicts with the Output Intent. For untagged PDFs the numbers change for  profiles  conflicting with the current Acrobat working CMYK space.

I think this means PDFs exported without document CMYK profiles (i.e. the Press Quality or High Quality Print presets) might have color problems because the host Acrobat working CMYK space could be anything and there is a  chance of random CMYK to CMYK conversions.

Here's a PDF/X-1a with Europe ISO Coated as the Output Intent in Acrobat X:

Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 10.58.24 AM.png

Changing the simulation profile changes the preview:

Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 10.58.41 AM.png

Here's the same PDF opened in Acrobat XI, with the US Newsprint simulation profile the output numbers change rather than the preview:

Screen shot 2013-03-06 at 10.48.51 AM.png

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Thanks for the heads up. COuld you show us the last tow shot withthe cursor over a color so we can see the numbers?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 9:59 AM   in reply to Rob Day

That is scary.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Rob Day

Personally I am getting lost in all the screen shots of Acrobat showing different profiles. I really wish this forum software was akin to others where one can cycle through each post's images using next/previous buttons.

All I can say--not adding anything of value I suspect--is the following screen shot from my PDF was using an unchanged Press Quality export setting. The PDF's profile is in view.

capture-000073.png

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 1:50 PM   in reply to Rob Day

ID Working space:

capture-000076.png

PDF using Press Quality:

capture-000075.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 1:59 PM   in reply to MW Design

But waht settings did you use to export?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 2:04 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

Hi Peter--I started playing along when I read post #2, which was using Press Quality. Which was stated just above the Acrobat screen shot in my previous post.

I'll redo with the PDFX-1a profile mentioned as well.

I really got lost looking and reading through this thread.

Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 2:47 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Thanks, Rob.

Thank you for your patience. I am slow but get there eventually. Usually.

OK. I don't have my previous Acrobat version, which was 9, available. So I cannot play back and forth between the two versions. But I now understand better what you are saying about version 11.

So I think I need to leave it there.

Again, thank you. Mike

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 2:56 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Acrobat XI's Output Preview has changed - in many ways - including this one.  For both better and for the worse.

In the case of PDF/X compliant files, Output Preview is now behaving 100% correctly.  Since all DeviceCMYK colors are implicitly tagged as being associated to the OutputIntent specified in the file, switching the simulation profile means that we (as per the PDF/X specs) to do a CMYK->CMYK transform to get the new color value.  So that is what you now see.

HOWEVER, that (as you note) is also happening for PDFs w/o any embedded profile - and that's wrong - since DeviceCMYK should means that it takes on those same values regardless.  This bug has been filed and we hope to fix it in a future update.

NOTE: this change is ONLY in Output Preview - it has NO IMPACT on printing or other operations.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 8:28 AM   in reply to Rob Day

>if I print separations to my postscript printer DeviceCMYK values always output unchanged—

>It doesn't matter if there's an Output Intent Profile (PDF/X) included and the print destination conflicts with that intent.

So you are printing from Acrobat?  What version on what OS platform? And what settings do you have enabled for color management in the Print dialog?

if I place the PDF/X back into an InDesign document

Unfortunately, InDesign does NOT respect the file's conformance to PDF/X when placing it :(.  This is a long standing bug in InDesign.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:44 AM   in reply to Rob Day

One thing I find odd about PDF/X-4 is document CMYK objects export as DeviceCMYK even though the standard includes all profiles

Again, long standing bug in InDesign .

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 9:45 AM   in reply to Rob Day

OH – you weren't kidding when you said you were printing separations.  I thought you meant that in the generic sense.

Yes, when you print separations, no color management is applied.  The standard does not address the issue of separated output, so either model (with or without transform) would be correct.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 11:05 AM   in reply to Rob Day

>What good is Output Preview if its not returning the actual output separation values?

It is IMPOSSIBLE to return the "actual output separation values", since the software has no way of knowing how your press is calibrated (or if it even is calibrated).   All we can do is use the information you've provided and work from that.

This is one reason why using color managed input (aka ICC profiled colors) instead of raw CMYK values is preferred.

>By default in AcrobatX a PDF/X-1a opened in Acrobat with the Simulation Profile as the Output Intent—

>both the preview and the separation output numbers were correct.

For PDF/X-1a files, the Output Preview is still correct in Acrobat XI.  The only issue that has been identified is for PDFs that DO NOT comply with the PDF/X standards, so that no Output Intent exists.

>If I send out a US SWOP X-1a and my printer blows off the intent and outputs to US Sheetfed,

>there isn't going to be the CMYK to CMYK conversion the new Output Preview is showing.

It is debatable if your printer is following the standard or not.  Some people say yes, some say no.  As such, both positions are valid.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 12:41 PM   in reply to Rob Day

Rob – the details of a separated workflow are completely outside the PDF/X specification (and the PDF spec, for that matter).   Acrobat assumes a modern composite and/or digital workflow, where the PDF/X file will be processed by a native PDF RIP according to the rules of PDF/X (rather than a historical separated Postscript workflow).

Neither InDesign nor Photoshop support PDF/X-compliant rendering, so the point is moot.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points