Skip navigation
designstudio60
Currently Being Moderated

Problem in Print Ready Report

Mar 6, 2013 11:29 AM

Tags: #problem #color #cmyk #ink #printing #from #print #reduce #300

I designed a report in InDesign CS6 and sent to client Print Ready file in PDF format in CMYK 300 DPI. My client sent me comments of publisher about cover page that "the ink coverage is too high (more thatn 300% CMYK. This coverage must be reduced to 280% CMYK. Otherwise there will be ink drops / spots on the paper)." Can any one help me how I reduce ink at cover page from 300 dpi to 280 dpi. Thanks in Advance!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 11:48 AM   in reply to designstudio60

What is on the cover? What output profile are you using for the PDF?  Typically, if you have CMYK content that you placed, you would need to edit that in the appropriate editor, or it would need to undergo a color profile conversion in ID to have an ink limit enforced.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 12:18 PM   in reply to designstudio60

Is that image RGB or CMYK? Does it have an embedded profile?

What is the CMYK space assigned to the document?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 5:53 AM   in reply to designstudio60

designstudio60 wrote:

I used image RGB high resolution however, after using in indesign I converted profile from RGB to CMYK. And exported file as print pdf.

I'm not sure if you mean you converted the image to CMYK in Photoshop, or if you did the conversion during the export to PDF. If you did it in Photoshop, which profile was used for the conversion? If you did it during export, we need to know what destination profile was selected in the export options.

Can you show us a screen shot of the PDF export dialog with the Output section showing, please?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 6:05 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I suspect that the problem here is the output profile used. The US Web Coated (SWOP) v2 profile allows 300% ink, so that's waht your dark blacks are going to have. Did the printer tell you what profile to use?

It is also possible, of course, to edit the the image in photoshop to reduce the density of the ink in the shadow areas and continue to use the SWOP profile. This will probably reduce the detail in the hair a bit.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 3:28 AM   in reply to designstudio60

I'm now a little bit lost. Originally you said the problem was ink coverage, now you say both ink coverage and resolution. These are separate issues.

Your ink coverage issue is a matter of using the correct output profile. That SHOULD BE supplied by the printer. In fact, they really should supply a .joboptions file to define ALL of their requirements for a PDF. Shor of that they should at least send you a real written specification.

Your resolution problem could be with the cover image being scaled, or with some other image if you have others. Can you show me a screen shot of the Info panel withthe cover image selected, please. You have not reduced the resolution below requirements for offset printing in the export settings, so if there is really a resolution problem it is in the images themselves.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 3:55 AM   in reply to designstudio60

To reduce the ink coverage, as I said previously, you must either edit the image itself, or you must export to CMYK using an output profile with a lower ink limit. That said, until I know the color mode of that image (which I should see in the info panel), I don't know exactly what to suggest. The settings you used to export do not change the colors at all.

Frankly, I think the printer is a big source of the problem here, since they don't seem to have given you a set of specifications or a recommended profile. I understand, though, that you don't have a choice about working with them. 300% ink is really not unusual in offset printing, at least not with printers I use.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 6:32 AM   in reply to designstudio60

That's not quite what I need.

In the original file please slect the image itslef, not the orange, but the photo, and then show me the Info Panel

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 7:13 AM   in reply to designstudio60

OK, here's waht we know by looking at the Info panel:

The image is RGB, so it get's converted to CMYK either during export, or in this case, because your choice of settings preserves colors, at the printer in their RIP. Since they are doing the conversion, the ink limit problem is on their end, but my guess is they don't really know how to handle your file.

We also know, because the effective PPI is different from the Actual PPI (and larger) that the image was scaled down, so there is no resolution issue, but the image was not scaled proprtionally becaue it has different effective resolutions for horizontal and vertical values. That's why everyone is tall and skinny, but perhaps that was your intent.

Back to the ink problem, however...

As said before, ASK THE PRINTER to tell you the correct output profile, then in the output section of the Export dialog, change No Color Conversion to Convert to Destination (Preserve Numbers) -- that's so your 100% black type stays 100% black instead of become a four-color mix -- and choose the profile provided by the printer. I'd recommend starting with the PDF/X-1a preset instead of the High Quality Print, too, in this case becasue I have no confidence that they can handle transparency, if you used it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 12:54 AM   in reply to designstudio60

I deleted your other forums post.

You can check this forums post :- http://forums.adobe.com/message/5127229 , where Peter and I have shared the link for the Default PDF presets.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 3:44 AM   in reply to designstudio60

The PDF/X-4 preset should have been installed by default. We've seen a number of cases here where a computer restart brought back missing presets, but if not, the links in the other thread should work.

But more importantly, did the printer request PDF/X-4?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points