Skip navigation
craftyste123
Currently Being Moderated

Inserting model of sculpture into scene

Mar 6, 2013 10:48 AM

Tags: #scene #inserting

Hi

I'm an experienced user of photoshop but need to do something I've not done before.

I am designing a piece of public sculpture for outdoors.  I have photographs of the location and photographs of my little model.  I now need to insert the photograph of the little model into the location photographs and make it look like it belongs there.  So I need the inserted model to adopt the environmental effects of it's surroundings.

I can obviously do this the long manual way in photoshop or take the 3D modelling and rendering route, but I just wondered if there is a specific tool/command in photoshop that is designed for such a thing?

I don't need it to look perfect. I just don't want it to look like its been "imported" in from nowhere.

Oh and I'm using CS5.5

Cheers guys

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 11:03 AM   in reply to craftyste123

Seems like it would make your life easier if you photographed the model in the same light as the pictures.  Shadows and lighting can really make an object look out of place if it does not mirror the shadows of the picture.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 11:21 AM   in reply to craftyste123

Yes, but you can see then angle and intensity of the sun by looking at the shadows where the picture was shot, then try to duplicate that with the model.  Whether it was shot at noon under a blazing sun, gray overcast with rain, or sunset makes a huge diffenrece.  And of course you have to figure out how the model is oriented with the landscape.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 11:42 AM   in reply to craftyste123

OK, probably no such easy way.  Here is a link to tutorial to put a shiny object in your image and get realistic reflections.  http://9tutorials.com/2007/08/24/add-a-shiny-metal-object-into-your-im age-realistic-reflection.html

Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2013 11:57 AM   in reply to craftyste123

Also, don't forget the little touches; if the sculpture is on a lawn, clone a little of the grass on a layer in front of the base, so it seems to sit down in the lawn. I have even gone so far as to put some small item (a waste bin, or some such) in the picture on a layer "in front of" the sculpture (not dead center, just on an edge). Again, to set it down in the scene and make it look like it belongs.

Small things like that may take a little time, but can make all the difference in a presentation.

--OB

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points