Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Newbie: Does InDesign come with built-in styles?

Mar 6, 2013 4:29 PM

Tags: #indesign #style #cs6 #built-in #word_import

I just started learning InDesign CS6 today, and I thought it was going well, to a degree.  I was creating my own styles, doing split and spanned columns, etc.

However, what I really wanted to do (at least for now) was to import a Word document (and then obviously clean the debris up).  Various websites have advice on doing so, advising to do File | Place, select Show Import Options, select the Word file, then Customize Style Import, and click on Style Mapping... .

Each of those websites, including on Adobe.com, tell me I should then select the best InDesign Style in the right-hand column to match the Word Style in the left-hand column.  However, when I click on one of the entries on the right-hand side in the InDesign Style column, there are no InDesign styles to select!

Which brings me to the question in the subject line of this post: Does InDesign come with built-in styles, as suggested by the instructions provided by many for importing Word documents into InDesign?

If so, how do I get them to appear in my Paragraph Styles menu and also in the Word import Style Mappings?  My Paragraph Styles menu only has the [Basic Paragraph] entry... no others.

Or do I need to create every style from scratch?

Thanks.

- Rick

Replies
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 6, 2013 4:30 PM   in reply to RickTuckerUSA

InDesign has only the styles that you create.

If you don't have an existing style structure, there's no need to use style mapping. Just import the Word styles as they are.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 6, 2013 5:02 PM   in reply to RickTuckerUSA

You might try exporting the Word document to RTF instead.

Or .doc instead of .docx or vice-cersa.

Various odd word constructs have been known to trip up InDesign, including footnotes.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 5:03 PM   in reply to RickTuckerUSA

Did you hold down the Shift key when you clicked to place the file? You have to do that to flow multiple pages.

|
    Mark as:
  • John Hawkinson
    5,572 posts
    Jun 25, 2009
    Mar 6, 2013 5:22 PM   in reply to RickTuckerUSA

Note that, if shift solved your problem, then the red + sign indicating overset text on the text frame is something you should explore and learn about. It indicates the text was imported into InDesign, just not visible because the frame containing it was too small.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points