Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

DVD Frame Rates

Mar 6, 2013 5:58 PM

Tags: #settings #premiere #cs5.5 #playback #blu-ray #encore #dvd #cs6 #transcoding #encore_cs6

I shoot all my footage in HD 23.976 on Canon 7D cameras. I edit my projects in Premiere Pro CS6 and export them as H.264 for BluRay Premiere template. I create a new project in Encore and import my footage as a timeline. For as long as I have used Encore CS6 my Bluray Discs come looking beautiful, frame rate and all. However, whenever I burn my project to DVD Encore changes the frame rate from 23.976 to 29.97? The difference is noticeable. The footage goes from looking cinematic on the BluRay to a cheap soap opera on DVD. I didn't have this problem with CS5.5 and I don't know how to fix this. Is there a setting I can change in Encore so I can retain my 24fps frame rate? I have asked this question in a few other forums in the past few months but no one has provided me with a suitable solution. Can anyone help me out please? Thank You.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 6, 2013 7:28 PM   in reply to rexomus

Look at 23.976 for DVD in mediainfo or gspot. You will see that it is 29.97 with pulldown. That is the nature of DVD.

If you don't create it with the flag, it doesn't work. I don't recall the options. I think that when you export 23.976 as MPEG2-DVD fromPremiere/AME, the pulldown added.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 7, 2013 8:44 AM   in reply to rexomus

whenever I burn my project to DVD

Don't do that.  Export out DVD specific assets from Premiere Pro using the MPEG2-DVD preset.  Then create a second Encore project specifically for DVD.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 10:46 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

so if im reading this correctly the 2 conclusions are...

transcode all media intended for DVDs to 29.97 before importing into Encore,

and

its not good to create an encore project, import h264-BD files, create a BD image, then import mpeg-DVD files, create DVD image, all in the same project

instead, create 2 separate projects 1 for DVDs and 1 for BD

is that right?

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 29, 2013 11:16 AM   in reply to wolverine.ks

NTSC, yes. But if it is 23.976, Premiere/AME should provide the pulldown so that the eventual DVD player will interpet it correctly.

instead, create 2 separate projects 1 for DVDs and 1 for BD

That's the prevailing opinion, and I don't recall anyone saying they could get a consistent result from the feature that Encore provides of switching within the same project.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 30, 2013 2:33 PM   in reply to wolverine.ks

Not quite.  Encore will accept 23.976 with pulldown flags and leave it alone.  The MPEG2-DVD export option from PP creates a 23.976 file with the flags, it doesn't add the real pulldown.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 19, 2013 11:01 AM   in reply to rexomus

>trying to find a viable solution

I do not use this, so have NO idea if it will do what you want

Encore alternative http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 9:18 AM   in reply to rexomus

accept that no matter what I do, even shooting at different frame rates; Encore always redners DVD footage to look like it was shot at 60fps.

I don't understand this. What Jim and I are describing is the nature of DVD. Encore will put 23.976 on disk fine. And yes, it will mess it up if not coded correctly.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 20, 2013 10:37 AM   in reply to Stan Jones

I'm also a little baffled as to the difficulty here as well.

In Premiere there is a preset for MPEG-2 DVD at 24p widescreen.

This works beautifully, and results in the following advantages:

1 - your footage remains progressive scan, not interlaced, and in an upscaling player (such as a modern Universal or BluRay player) you get output at 24p, not 29.97 and on older or non upscaling players the footage is automatically pulled to 29.97 with no user intervention needed. Hollywood have been doing this for years now.

2 - no standards conversion by trying to add 5 frames/second, (which is usually done with Frame Blending and if you do this & do not tick the boxes in the right place it will look horrible)

3 - If you use the 720x480 size option the resulting disc will be pretty much universally playable. (720x576/25 PAL is only good for PAL regions)

Okay, I don't use Encore very often for DVD - but I use Premiere Pro all the time & it does a lovely job of this type of render, and believe me if Scenarist accepts this material )which it does) then not only is it guaranteed DVD Compliant (Scenarist will spit the dummy if not) but it is also aq certainty that Encore will likewise accept the footage because the authorcore is almost the same (Encore uses the old Sonicv DVD Producer authorcore, which is (from memory) the same as it was in Scenarist at the time the 2 products diverged.

Considering the DVD specifications have not changed since the bifurcation of Producer/Scenarist - you are good to go.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 2, 2013 4:55 PM   in reply to Neil Wilkes

Just to make sure I understand:

If you render out a project in premiere pro that is NTSC 23.976 with the MPEG2-DVD preset, it will add 29.97 pulldown. 

If you use the resulting premiere file in Encore, then it will have no problem with the pulldown flags and will create a DVD with 29.97 pulldown, which, if I understand, is perfectly normal for DVD.

Thanks!!

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 4, 2013 3:55 PM   in reply to howard.z

No, it will add a flag to the stream, not the pulldown.  The player itself will add the pulldown upon playback (unless you have a player that allows for genuine 24p output).

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 5, 2013 2:57 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

No, it will add a flag to the stream, not the pulldown.  The player itself will add the pulldown upon playback (unless you have a player that allows for genuine 24p output).

Exactly.

The resulting MPEG-2 file should still be 24p (23.976DF) and certainly not 29.97 or the wrong preset has been selected.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points