Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

h.264 export without audio creates files that are not recognized in Quicktime or VLC

Mar 7, 2013 12:31 AM

Dear all,

I need to generate h.264 files with video only. (short clips for use with a "clickable" catalog on an iPad)

Used the "H.264" category and chose a preset. Unchecked "Audio" so I only get the video exported.

The resulting .m4v file is not playable in Quicktime or VLC or MPEG streamclip.

When I leave audio enabled with the same preset, the file is fine, but as soon as I export without audio, the resulting file is unreadable.

Source material is ProRes 422HQ, audio+video, about 30-40 seconds long.

Any clues?

Carl.

Mac Pro 5,1

24GB RAM

Nvidia Quadro4000

4TB internal RAID0

OS 10.7.5

Premiere 6.0.2

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 7, 2013 8:13 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

M4V is a Blu-ray standard that many software players have trouble with.  Leave the audio tracks empty and export out with audio, creating an MP4 file for broader compatibility.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 2:12 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

It's possible. Just export to MP4 instead of M4V (i.e. choose from Format: H.264 presets instead of Format: H.264 Blu-ray).

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 7:48 AM   in reply to Fuzzy Barsik

Can't you just rename the videos you have already exported from *.m4v to mp4 and solve the problem?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 8:18 AM   in reply to Steven L. Gotz

Nope. If you export M4V file with Audio disabled, QuickTime can't play it back irrespective of the file extention and throws Error 2048 'couldn't open the file'. However, the reverse trick works just fine.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 1:30 PM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

I thought I'd save some space by not including audio but apparently this is not possible.

It used to be.  It's a bug introduced with the 6.0.2 update.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 8, 2013 10:05 PM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

Well, if it's a bug introduced by CS6, you can download the trial of CS5.5 (works fine here) so as to complete your project: Direct Download Links.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 4:23 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

Carl,

If you just mute your audio track and then export a multiplexed stream including the audio, it should be recognized.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 9, 2013 9:24 AM   in reply to Harm Millaard

It will be, but for some reason the MP4 "with audio", even when muted, is a good chunk larger than an export without the audio.  Not sure why that is.  You'd think an audio track with no audio would use 0 bytes of data.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2013 5:05 AM   in reply to Carl Schuurbiers

iPad2: Apple - iPad 2 - View the technical specifications for iPad 2.

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

iPad: Apple - iPad - View all the technical specifications.

Video formats supported: H.264 video up to 1080p, 30 frames per second, High Profile level 4.1 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; MPEG‑4 video up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps per channel, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats; Motion JPEG (M-JPEG) up to 35 Mbps, 1280 by 720 pixels, 30 frames per second, audio in ulaw, PCM stereo audio in .avi file format

Jeff

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points